Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

What is this tube/pipe on my 16v? It's broken.

As you can see in the pic here there is a black tube that comes out of the top right hand corner of the rocker cover & merges into a silver/foil type covering and then it runs along toward the driver's side under the windscreen and dissapears out of sight.

I just noticed today that the part where the tube merges into the silver/foil part is ripped/separated. (It's not the easiest to see in this pic.)

Does anyone know what this tube is and what effect it being ripped has?

It's the vacuum hose that also connects to the brake servo, i'd imagine it being ripped would make your brakes partially un-assisted.

You'd have to push really hard on your pedal to actually stop.

Edit: Not that bad, i drove all the way back from Bristol to Glastonbury once, with a completely severed main vacuum hose.

Made it ok, but i had a wicked calf muscle for a while!!!!!

Seems strange cos my brakes are fine, (or at least they were a month ago before I stored it away for winter), but I will get it repaired anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Just out of interest does anyone know how much them hoses cost and how long they take to install?

The hose is probably not too expensive but you can probably get hold of one from a scrappy. The silver cover is just for heat protection.

I've just re-fitted mine and it's a bit of a fiddley job, as where it plugs into the brake servo is right behind the fluid reservoir and a bit of the wiring loom.

Hmm well I've done a search on brake servo's and have an idea what they are now.

Just to clarify though,...apart from being a fiddley job, is it just a straight-forward matter of taking the old hose off and connecting the new one? No bleeding or anything to be done at any stage or anything like that?

No bleeding - it's just a vac hose...

I did mine a few months ago but I had to undo the master cyl and pull it fwd to gain access to the pipe...