Sign in to follow this  
fabvr6

Vr6 crack pipe

hello gents,

my crack pipe cracked on my vr6, the one that runs accross the front of the block, will be getting a new one tomorrow, any tips on fitting it?

also going to be replacing the water pump aswell, any tips to make this as easy as possible and anything in the areas worth replacing whilst there?

many thanks

fabio

There is nothing special on replacing them...but if you've never replaced the two small hoses that come off the oil cooler...replace them. Its hell if they ever break on you. Removing the entire front end would allow the most access...everything is out of the way. You can also do it by loosening the front engine mount and jacking the engine up. I went with the front end removal method.

As for the metal crack pipe...I think its uneccessary. I've been around alot of VR6's and I've never seen one fail. The factory one is easily a 100k mile part. I took mine out earlier this year and it was still in perfect condition, mind you its 10 years old. I would just get the factory plastic one and put the money you save towards something else that need maintenence. I have "heard" of the factory crack pipes failing in really cold climates where the weather constantly drops below freezing.

You can buy the metal ones direct from the manufacturer online now at:

http://www.gruvenparts.com

I'd recommend it, it's got a cool wee tap thing to let you drain the coolant with ease. So I was told by the chap I got to fit it anyway. Looks cool too.

Seems like they've got a few other goodies for Corrados on there too.

so how do you remove the crack pipe then? I've got the bumper and rads off for starters. Now what?

take the thermostat housing off the side of the head, undo the oil cooler water pipe and remove the end of the crack pipe from the waterpump.

OK, thanks for that Toad. Mine has aircon so i've got a few extra pipes that obscure the view and restrict access as to what to open up. I might be back here shortly after a few choice swear words when it doesn't work out!

Where do you get access to the thermostat housing - the front or the side? Also, there is an allen bolt on the front of the block (RHS) at the end of the crack pipe, very difficult to move, but does this need to be removed too?

TIA

there are 3 bolts in the side of the head, 2 long and one short, or the other way round... there is a guide to removing the thermostat housing on here, and tbh it's worth replacing with new, about £50 all in from the dealer as it has a habit of cracking and leaking...