Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Dont take the P but - Freezing Conditions and Spoiler ????

is it safe to go out when its freezing - does the mech freeze up or anything and blow your motor ?? is there an overide or anything to stop it coming up at 45mph or shall i just pull a fuse out??

cheers

Brett

Why not check it out on the manual switch under the dash. If it doesn't move straight away, then you know it's stuck. And you can release the switch immediately to avoid damage unlike at speed.

Alternatively, manual work the spoiler using the "dog bone" handle inside the rear hatch behind the cover panel.

No override to stop it unless you pull fuses but that will loose other circuits as well.

Alternatively remove the motor's plug in the rear hatch by removing the panel to stop it working.

I was thinking of this today, so its far from a silly question.

My spoiler always raises at 60. I wonder if itwas modified at any point as the standard seems to be 45mph.

I was thinking of this today, so its far from a silly question.

My spoiler always raises at 60. I wonder if itwas modified at any point as the standard seems to be 45mph.

There is a way to modify the speed at which the spoiler comes up at.

There was a thread/how to on it not too long ago.

mines been frozen in the past (i've had it five winters )but had no problems with motor burn out or fuse blowing just makes a but of noise as it pops free i always clear as much snow off as possible and try not to wash to car in very cold weather

as for L4 PRG spoiler rising at 60mph thats ok later models have a higher

activation speed than earlier cars

Rob

had a good idea it was'nt a mod

You can modify the unit to adjust the speed at which it rises though. Isn't that what g60dave was posting about??

I wouldn't risk the spoiler being broken by letting it operate from frozen. It's surely asking for trouble and from what I've read would be a total bugger to fix.

Some warm water in the morning before driving sounds like a good idea to me.

Anyone elses spoiler squeak? Mine does even in the summer. Is their a suitable lubricant available which won't harm lovely paint? Sorry to go a little off-tpoic, but have searched and found nothing......maybe I spell squeak different to other people ;-) ?

3 winters and the spoiler has never failed to raise or lower once..... not even this morning when it was covered in ice and -3 on the way to work.

Come on guys, VW would have thought about this when they designed it.....stop worrying over nowt :-)

I've managed to burn out one motor (in the summer) but think that was just through lack of lubricant, so i give it a smearing of grease on the arms every one in a while just for piece of mind.