Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Dont take the P part 2 ! What does the front splitter do?

you need to have the front splitter there to protect the front of the car, its better scraping the splitter which is sturdy enough to withstand it than catching the underside of your bumper on something.... the cost of a replacement splitter is well less than a replacement bumper..... my C had a 50mm which i replaced with a 90 as i felt it looked better, yes its impractical when trying to get into most driveways but i'd rather hear the splitter scraping the ground than the actual bumper!!!

my 2p..... :)

But if something is high enough to catch the underside of your bumper it will do it with or without the splitter on.. I'm all up for keeping it on anyway, would look strange without it. :)

I thought rear ones were all about creating downward force @ the rear of the car...

Clues in the name really.....the profile shape of most cars inherently generates lift! Most spoliers are there to "Spoil" or reduce this lift!

Its only when ye get into pretty high performance stuff (F1 etc) that you could really say that a rear spoiler generates a negative lift coefficient at the rear of the car.

The underbody of the car is also the area that generates the highest levels of drag (due to exhausts engine bits etc being there), the front splitter also deflects airflow away from this high drag region.

The front splitter would generate some downforce to some extent, but it would be pretty inefficient. Downforce generated by the underbody relies heavily on a F1/Ferrari style rear diffuser......with the Corrado lacks :roll:

So it is essentialy an upside down wing which I would imagine must contribute something at 100mph..?

And does the profile of cars generate lift? I would have thought oncoming air hitting the windscreen & bonnet would act to push the car down?

So it is essentialy an upside down wing which I would imagine must contribute something at 100mph..?

yeah, basically! Slightly different design though! I thought VW came out with a figure of 67% reduction in lift on the Corrado when they used the spolier during orig testing at 60mph? (seems a bit high to me though)

And does the profile of cars generate lift? I would have thought oncoming air hitting the windscreen & bonnet would act to push the car down?

yeah I used to think that too...but if you look at the car from the side though, it performs the same way as a (crude) planes wing would! BASICALLY, the path the airflow takes over the top of the car is longer than the path beneath the car. So the airflow accelerates around the top side (over bonnet, window, roof etc)...According to Bernoulli's Law, this accelerated airflow has a lower pressure than the lower speed air passing beneath the car. So the higher pressure beneath the car basically pushes the car up and away from the road!!!

If ye want to see this in action....think of the crappy standard Corrado wipers shuddering and not making proper contact with the windscreen at high speed, they are being lifted away from the windscreen by the low pressure/high speed flow over the top of the car, whereas they will work better at low speeds where the spring in them is strong enough to hold them firmly against the window :wink:

typical - taken from GPC

50MM FRONT SPOILER.....................£60.00

90MM FRONT SPOILER.....................£30.00

You pay twice as much moolah for less plastic - harumpth !!