Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Proximity alarms and tinted windows

have just had a Clifford fitted with the Proximity function (Will post up a model no as soon as I have it as am at work). Only problem is that the "proximity" alarm (the one that senses people within a certain distance of the car) keeps going off even if there's no-one there.

Have taken it back and had the "bubble" wound in to within 2 inches but still keeps going off! The Fitting centre say its because of the factory (very light) tint to the windows, but I cant beleve that.

Any-one else had this issue and is there a cure?

yes, they are a f*cking nightmare, i always had bother with mine on my concept 50x.

The main problem is location. I found the best place to put it is up in the headliner behind the sunroof motor cover.

If it's down o the tunnel you'll find that the heat from the exhasut affects it.

Is it a radar proximity sensor, or 'perimeter scanner'? If so, pretty sure they can 'see' through glass, tinted or not.

Don't really know enough about the alarm but I'm not really buying their reason!

Sounds (geddit?) like it's an ultrasonic one. Is the alarm actually going off or sounding a warning?

Just constantly sounds the warning, am getting hacked off and only had it in under a week! I don't want to disable this part as no doubt something will happen to the car and the Insurance won't pay out.

Oh yeah and the sensors under the rear ash-tray apparently! Guess I sould get them to move it up to the Sun-roof module!

yes, that's a prime spot for sensor problems.

I've had 2 clifford alarms, a 50x, and now an avantguard G5.

when the first 50x was installed, that's where it was put and it gave me bother for the whole time I had the car. when I fitted the alarm in another car I didn't even bother with the sensor. then I read on a forum about the placement, and when I bought my G5 it came with fitting instructions, and it tells you to fit it up in the headliner.

so I fitted the whole alarm myself and put it up there, and it worked fine.

the only sensor I had problems with was the tilt sensor.......guess where I'd put it.....you got it....under the rear ashtray.....they just don't like the heat off the exhaust,

sound like one ofr the zones is wrong, are you setting the internal and external ones not just the external!!

I agree with Phat its a common clifford prob and the other thing that affects it as street lighting (UV) so having ti on the roof point down tends to help

can anyone tell me where my bubble is most likley to be as i want to unscrew it slightly as my alarm is so sensitive and goes off everytime the intercooler kicks in after i finish driving is so annoying if going to bank or something!

I have watched and waited for intercooler to come and it hardly shudders at all so i am surprised it sets the sensor off! the alarm is a new 2month old full closure toad alarm thanks andy

Ok an update, am having real problems with this company (they were recommended by a 'rado owner too!) They refuse to move the sensor as they still claim its the tint. However every other Clifford dealer says its in the wrong place but they are reluctant to move it as not their job!

Any-one got a number etc for Clifford GB?

the alarm comes with a lifetime warrenty so if its playing up its there job to rectify it. the manual and the training courses say to fit it in the headlining where poss. must admit mine is in the centre of the car as did mine in a hurry and its never given me any probs.

clifford manual states that some reflective window tints can cause problems as they can contain metal flakes in them but that stops the microwave getting out so the sensor doesnt work at all not keeps going off

have you got a glass break sensor as well as this can cause the two to interact and keep activating the warn away.

where are you based as if its anywhere near high wycombe i can help you out. i am an offical clifford approaved installer