Sign in to follow this  
andiG60

16v very ill PLEASE HELP

does it have a cat on it my m8 had a mk5 rs2000 and his car just lost all its power and ran crap he couldnt even pull away was very confusing then all this black smoke ( well it was more like suit ) exploded from his exhaust then the car run great on later inspection it turned out the cat had started breaking away inside and blocked its self.it could be an other thing to check good lick any way

no guys. i have a decat pipe on it. when i got it the cat and the rest of the exhaust was not in the best shape so i changed the lot. it has been perfect for nine months or so.

its really confusing. i disconnected the temp switch and it ran much better (not right) so i cot a switch from vw, changed it, but still as bad. :roll:

Shame about the catalyst - that would have been a nice, easy fix.

The temperature switch causes the ECU to richen the fuel mixture by increasing the current to the differential pressure regulator under cold-running conditions. It's curious that disconnecting the temperature switch makes it run any different from cold. I'm pretty sure the temperature switch should be open-circuit when cold. I'll have to check that though.

I'd test the fuel pressure and the differential pressure regulator current next to see if either of them changes dramatically at the same time the engine starts going nuts.

i had a problem like this with my old 1.8 valver took me ages to find it, mine was the distributor apparently they have a kind of engine position sensor on them (like a crank shaft position sensor) and that intermittently worked and didnt work so revs would shoot up and down back fire then stop after a while it would start up fine again. not sure if its the same on the 2l but you could try it.

Does anyone know if AndiG60 sorted this problem out? Mine has suddenly started doing the EXACT same thing.

I did have a few problems last week after taking the airbox out to drill a few holes :wink: To get to the airbox i disconnected all the surrounding connectors. After putting it back together, occasionally when accelerating hard the engine would suddenly loose power as if the fuel had been suddenly cut. I took all the connectors off again and cleaned them up, all seemed much better afterwards and the mpg was back to normal ~33, whereas during the problem was about 24.

I drove it yesterday morning to collect something...was going great, went through some rather large puddles but car was still running fine no signs of any problems. Turned the car off for 10 mins, went back to it and it did exactly what andiG60 has described. It runs fine for 45 seconds to a minute when cold then goes crazy or 3-4 seconds when warm before going crazy.

It definitely seems like fuel starvation... The revs just do not want to increase and there is no power. I can get it to rev if i pull up the metering head flap by applying an upward pressure on the mixture screw and turning the throttle at the same time, as if i can force it to fuel correctly. Another funny thing is that it will burst into life when at full throttle.

I have some ideas, like checking the current to the fuel pressure thingy me' bob on the side of the airbox, as mentioned previously in this post.

I just wanted to see what the outcome was for AndiG60 before i spend hours messing around on a car i really need working for my daily commute to work (commuting in a corrado, silly i know??)

Thanks

I bought AndiG60's car at the beginning of Dec 06 and as far as I remember it turned out to be the lamda probe.

I drove it back to Notts from S Wales and it's been ok. I've run it numerous times since and it's been ok.

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

I'd read in one of the previous posts by Andi "changed all of the above then . and nothing??? still wont run. any ideas??" and assumed he was implying he had changed the lambda probe and hadn't helped. maybe i read it wrong.

It was something i was thinking of testing as i changed the cat about a month back and it was a right pain in the **** to get the lambda probe out of the old cat. I also noticed that some of the heat shielding was damaged. Its been fine since but this is probably the first time its been through any serious puddles and most likely got quite wet with all the slush etc on the roads.

I remember looking at the time at the price of a new probe as was getting unlikely i would be able to get the old one out...it seems that the probe for the 2.0 16V is about twice the price of any other corrado. Plus GSF don't stock the 2.0 16V one??

Does anyone know if this is really the case? its a 1992 K reg 2.0 16V

Hey guys.

First off all dave im glad the car is running fine.

Now, dghodges, i did solve it and based on what you have said i think i may know the problem. One the engine side of the airbox there is a small black box attached to the side of it with a plug attached to it on the rear, and for the life of me at the moment i cant remember what it is called.

This may be the cause of your problems, easy way to check if i remember right is when the engine starts going ballastic un plug the plug from the back of this little black box, the engine "should" then return to normal, but please gat an auto sparky to confirm this fault as that little box cost me nearly £200 from Germany. also, if you do change it it has high pressure fuel in it so dont let it squirt you in the eyeball as i did and remember to change the green rubber gromets thats it is supplied with.

Hope this helps.

Andi

Hi Andi,

Nice to hear from you, the car is still off the road but I've had it in and out of the garage a few times and it runs ok.

Whilst I've got your attention, I won't be needing the steel sunroof as I've repaired the glass one, sorry if it clutters up your garage.

Dave

Dave,

no worries about the sunroof and again im glad the car is ok.

I have had quite a major change of plan and now and not going abroad, well, not for a little while anyway as i have taken a job in canary wharf as i couldnt turn down the opportunity. So as im still in blighty i think corrado number 6 is on the cards! may go for a storm this time 8) .

Best to the family,

Andi

Andi,

Hope you made the right choice.

So next time you post on the forum we'll see some pics of #6.

Dave