Sign in to follow this  
biggreenVR

constantly hot VR

hiya peeps,

recently bought VR and fans were always comin in way too soon,changed sender switch an this had no effect. lately it seems the fans are on more or less constantly even when only jus started and it sounds likle its about to take off! seems to be running at a fairly operative temperature , around 90c.can any1 shed some light??? cheers

just take everything i say as a lie

lol, I normally do. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, biggreenVR I'm sure someone will be able to help you fix the problem........then another will come along........then you'll fix that one.....etc :)

ha, got a bunch of little niggles but can sort most of them out, this 1 is testin my knowledge tho, even if i take the sender off the fan still goes???could it b sumthin 2 do wit the e c u?

listen to anyone with "MOD" by their name.

Or RW1 (when he's not locked in my cupboard for ease of use ;) ).

Ooh another Manxy!

We're taking over!

And this new one's even stolen my IP addy!! :lol:

(And btw, don't listen to me. Ever.)

Howdy BGVR

changed sender switch an this had no effect.

Which sender switch did you replace?

it sounds likle its about to take off!

Sounds like the 3rd speed is being trggered so you'll either need to replace the black temp. sensor (3rd speed fan switch, right-most of the 3 in the thermo housing) or the fan controller itself.

Do speeds 1 and 2 function normally?

Dutch

ahhhhh,my bad dutchvr6,, djus read your message again,l. sorry- didnt realise the fans had 3 speeds. i changed the switch on bott of rad, therew is a switch on the therm housin too then? must b somethin else which governs it. i dont thinks it has ran on 1st and 2nd speed since i've had it(only for a month). thanks

The black temp sender triggers the 3rd speed. The other 2 speeds are triggered buy the yellow temp. sender AFAIK.

Speed one should come on at 80ish and 2 at 90ish (I can't remember exactly) and the 3rd one is a last resort that comes on at something over 100 I guess.

What temp. does your guage say when she starts to try and take off?

If you disconnect the black temp. sensor in the thermo housing (front right of engine, just below the manifold) do the fans stop?

Dutch

im cured on that one anyway, just tested it after takin that black sensor off, hovers between 90 and 100 now,will order it 2 mora.jus 1 more q, it serges on startup when cold, been lookin 4 this airvalve all day,is it in the big round housing screwed to the air filter box ???

thanks again 4 helpin me bro

No worries.

90-100 is too hot imho. I would get a new yellow sensor too while you at it - they're only a fiver or so and not that hard to change.

The air valve I think you're talking about is the crank breather valve I reckon. It attaches too the large air tube running (after the MAF) from the air-box to the TB and the cam cover. It's a round valve that's in the middle of the small tube that links these two. You can get just the valve from ford btw - VW only sell the whole thing as one piece and at a cost!

Is it leaking then?

AFAIK all VR's rev to about 1500 rpm when first started and quickly settle on 7-800 rpm (if cold). At least mine always does this. I noticed it stopped doing this when my crank sensor was dieing btw, but restarted when a new sensor was fitted. If it's only for a split second as soon as she fires up it's OK.

Dutch

So it's OK when warm/hot?

If so it could be a dodgy blue temp. sender, if not then your ISV probably needs cleaning/replacing.

Congrats, you might need the full set of 3 8)

The blue temp. sender tells the ecu how hot the engine is. If it's fecked then strange things can happen. As you're there anyhow you might as well replace all 3 (yellow, blue and black) temp. senders as a start. It's also the cheapest option.

Dutch

...oh, and check for any air leaks in the inlet tubing and any vacuum pipes.

If the problem goes when she's warm though I doubt it's an air leak.

Dutch

bgvr, no worries :)

Or RW1 (when he's not locked in my cupboard for ease of use ).

...Trigger, that sounds really dodgy mate :wink:

Dutch

I'll just bring Walesy to play with Trigg while I'm sorting the motor.

:lol: .

Guys, which of the senders, 5 - 6 or 7 is responsible for the different fan stages. I seem to have only 1 on mine. Kicks in around 96 degrees. Nothing before that. Also the thermostat is supposed to open at 80 isn't it? so why would fans be running before something over 80C?

TEMPsenders.jpg

The main fan controller switches on speeds 1 and 2 based on what the yellow temp sender tells it AFAIK. The black one is only for speed 3 (emergency) and air-co.

First speed comes on at +/- 83 degrees I think. It may come on before that though if the sensor is dead.

Dutch