Sign in to follow this  
madmansi

which one should i go for??

Hello

After a bit of advice really, been interested in getting a corrado for a while now and have looked at a few all of which turned out not to be as good as originally advertised –how annoying is that!!

Anyway I kinda settled on getting a later 2L 16v thinking it would be a good all rounder for performance and economy but the more I read up I hear that they’re not that quick –I’m not a boy racer but want something noticeably quicker than my mk2 8v gti. I did test drive one but did’nt really get a chance to stretch it legs properly –the heater matrix went on the test drive!

Obviously a VR would be a lot quicker and torquier! –how do these compare in reall life to a 2L 16v for economy?, then theres the G60 which I understand can be thirsty and expensive to maintain…

Any suggestions appreciated!

Simon

PS; Anyone know of any nice cars for sale in the south west?

Welcome,

To be honest I don't think theres a huge difference in all the Corrados' when it comes to fuel economy, depends onhow much you want to go I suppose.

2ltr 16v would possibly be the best for fuel economy, but as you say, they really aren't that quick! Still, you could do some mods to bring it up, theres a few on here that have 170+ bhp, Ithink Phil is one...

Welcome to the Forum :)

If you want to go fast it's going to use fuel. I drive a VR and it's quick when I want it to but if I drive it sensibly then it's not too bad. To get an idea, I get around 29mpg on my VR when i'm not accelerating fast etc. This can drop to well under 20mpg though.. :nuts:

Pretty much all of the Corrados are fairly high maintainence, G60 needs charger rebuilds every now and again, VR's usually need timing chain replacement at some point in their life. It's not just a car it's a lifestyle ;)

It depends totaly on your own personal circumstances/needs.

If you want something noticeably quicker than your mk2 than stay away from the valvers.

If you want fairly brutal acceleration / screaming charger noises / tunability go for a G60

If you want refined power / newer more modern interior / a motorway muncher / a model with slightly more 'status' then choose a VR6

With regards to fuel, I would just say that any Corrado is not the car to buy if you are worried about economy.

Have a look in the Knowledge Base for info on each specific model and a buyers guide http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... rrado_Info

Whichever you choose you won't be dissapointed...especially with the type of roads in Cornwall :wink:

You guys are tempting me to to the VR!, well not really -wanted one from the start! guess the mpg isnt too horrific -probably bout the same as my twin carbed 1641cc 67 bug!

Just gotta keep looking for the perfect car -just hate travelling miles finding out its no good -best case cernario would be a low mileage, fairly standard aqua blue with leather -was there ever a tan leather option with the aqua?

no tan on any corrado mate

grey/black/beige or the campaign model brickwork red (only 6 campaigns made tho) are your only choices.

Can always get some tidy cloth retrimmed?

good luck on whatever you decide!