Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

Screen Mounted driving devices

Hi Guys/Girls

Dont know if any of you have heard but the latest attack on the driver is coming in the form of banning screen mounted "toys" such as Road Angels, and satnav systems. Basically if they are in the swept area of screen they will be illiegal due to restricting vision

their gonna try and make this law soon apparently.

surely this would make tyhe rear view mirror illegal :lol:

i'd better cut down my magic tree :-)

With all these new regulations and red tape coming in, you probably need a logging license to do that.

TIMBERRRRRRRRRRR!

I dunno why i reasd these threads, I only get angry about the government :lol:

believe it or not but my car actually failed an mot because i had forgotten to take out my magic tree!!!!

it'll only be a matter of time before an alternative mounting system is drempt up, however that doesnt help people who already have these devices.

so we cant even use f***ing sunvisors in the summer either then.

i know its a damn site safer having a tomtom doing the navigation for me instead of trying to read a map on the passenger seat :| these pointless law makers really need to find something usefull to do.

But I've found with Tomtom, if you buy a No Holes dash mount for a car telephone kit (about £20) then you can adapt it to fit the tomtom mount - well certainly for the ipaq version, not sure about the tomtom go.

Looks so much better then as well as the mount fits next to the heater vent on the left!

its be interesting to see their 'stats' on how many accidents have been caused by someones vision being blocked by a road angel or tomtom, you know, just so we know they're not making things up in an attempt to get radar detectors out of peoples cars...

i have an external aerial for my tomtom go300 now so its going to be mounted in the lower centre dash cubby hole in a piece of 10mm thick alluminium.

they do look better mounted lower down but it also means your eye's are diverted from the road more than they need to be, at least when its stuck on the screen it in your field of vision.

Sun Visors are not mount on the screen, your not allowed to hang stuff like magic tree from the rear view mirror or fluffy dice for that matter, as for the Road angel, mine's got a stick pad to mount it on the dash. so i guess i'll be ok.

interesting though how the goverment brough in law about having phone mounted in holders, now you wont be able to have the holder stuck to the screen!! surly this mean that people will be lookin DOWN to look at who's ringing them as the things will be mounted on the dash!! progress for ya!!

Hi mate, Thanks for the tuning help on your visit to Spain, car is really flying now. I wish you were still here with your G60 so we could do mod weekends and track days. but C'est La Vie.

see ya soon bud on my next visit to leicester in the summer!

night shot and flash removed number plate

IMG_1474.sized.jpg

i thought seen as you hijacked the http://www.s2forum.com would be ok for me to do the same to you :lol:

You couldn't make this stuff up could you. Wonder if all the fighter jocks will have to turn off their HUDs? Could be we'll be in for a lot more smoking holes in the low flying areas :roll:

Personally I mount my PDA sideways in the cubby underneath the ashtray and the Road Angel (which also provide GPS signal to the PDA for TomTom) is so low on the screen, the only thing it obscures is me looking at my bonnet.

Unless you're a short-arse, mind...

I hardly ever look at the PDA. Joanna Lumney guides me perfectly (darling).

If I do, it's only a glance. Just like when I adjust my Climatronic. Best get rid of that in case I crash too.... :roll:

If I use Jen's Fiesta, I don't even bother mounting the PDA - just bung it in the glove box on full volume. Kinda funny have the glove box give you directions, but it's better than the Mrs!

Saying that, I have seem some stupid-arse placements for TomToms used, whilst on the road. Mostly Ford drivers. Top-right hand corner of the screen in one Focus. Surely they head-butt it getting out?