Sign in to follow this  
matth76

New uprated engine mounts - which ones and how much?

Hi

I've recently had a new 6 branch stainless steel exhaust manifold fitted to my Golf VR6. It has good flexi joints apparently which keeps it independent to engine movement. But just to be safe I'd like to uprate my existing standard engine mounts with something much tougher which will keep engine movement to an absolute minimum. I've heard of Vibratechnics ..are they the best? Are there any other good makes?

How many of the mounts need uprating - is it only really the front and rear? How much would it cost for two vibratechnics for example? And more importantly how many hours does it take a garage to fit one or two engine mounts?

Other than stopping engine movement what are the other advantages of uprated engine mounts?

Thank you for any help.

Cheers

Matt

I've got a Vibratechnics front engine mount, cost £150 ish, takes max half hour to fit. Tightens everything up, you cant feel the engine move if you put your foot down suddenly, gearchange quality is improved, by that I mean the clutch action feels nicer without the engine moving around. No extra harshness that I have noticed. I think VF is another make....someone will confirm I'm sure.

i'd do a search mate, lots of threads about this.

What engine are you running? if your not planning on doing any mods then personally I think 150 quid is too much. You can get generic parts for about 40 which would do the job...

If you are planning on moddin the engine for more power then if they do need doing spending the extra cash now makes sense.

If you do want to spend more though, John@JMR (16vG60 on the forum) offers some excellent quality ones for 70-75 posted. I prob would have got one, but funds weren't present so I went for the cheapers option which seem to be OK for me (2l valver).

Cheers

Andrew

He has a VR6 Golf. Standard VR mounts are shockingly poor and he has a fragile stainless header to think about, so it's a necessity imo.

Yes it's a golf vr6. I've got a stainless steel 6 branch exhaust manifold (which although more free flowing is thinner than the cast iron stock one). I have around 195 bhp (with Milltek exhaust and high flow cat) but most likely a tiny bit more with the exhaust manifold. Going on a rr with Stealth end of the month. I may be looking for more power although it's limited with it being n/a. Supercharger would be nice one day :)

It seems Vibratechnics are quite popular (although expensive). Will they last a lot longer than stock ones?