Sign in to follow this  
onlyG60ing

G60 vs MERCEDES 320.

Just to make you sicker...I paid £450 comp for my MK2 Golf 16V Turbo with a 220bhp engine limit from Brentacre insurance.

I could do ANYTHING I like to the car, except a roll cage and it wouldn't affect the premium 8)

Ring Kerry or John and ask for a quote. Their number is in PVW somewhere.

Cheers

Kev

Just to make you sicker...I paid £450 comp for my MK2 Golf 16V Turbo with a 220bhp engine limit from Brentacre insurance.

I could do ANYTHING I like to the car, except a roll cage and it wouldn't affect the premium 8)

I did call 'em, but they don't like people who do high milage and I do 20K miles per year so they couldn't do it.... dead friendly and helpful though... 8)

Yeah i just got a corrado 1.8 16v, couldnt really afford a vr6 but even if i could id still opt for the 1.8 16v as its the most insurance friendly of the range still paying a lot though 112 pound a month for 12 months (20yr old, printer), was thinking of getting the head reconditioned as ive heard it needs doin after 100k, and mines done 120k, runs sweet as a nut but like to make sure that engines gonna hold together when my right foot suddenly gets heavier, what kinda prices am i looking at for it to be reconditioned? where can i get it done? how long will the head be away for? and finally has anyone opted to have some magic worked on there head to make there C faster?

You are the same age I was when I bought my old 16V 1.8.... cracking cars - once you get past 21 the insurance should ease off a bit - it got to the point that when I got to 25 I was paying just £500 a year fully comp.... Im now 26 and running a VR6 that is still only costing £700 fully comp with named driver :D

As for the cylinder head yes you are right most do need the head doing after 100k miles but this is only really true if the car has only been serviced as per VW intervals - I bought my old one with 60k miles on it and serviced every 5k miles on it - before it went to the car yard in the sky it had 115k on the clock and the engine sounded better than it did when it had 60k miles on it with not an ounce of smoke.... it really depends on how it has been looked after.

Try and have a listen to a known 'mint' 16V engine and compare it to yours - the 16V's tend to get chatty on idle and suffer from valve guide / seal wear......

As for prices - expect to pay around £500 / £600 for a reconditioned cylinder head fitted.

Scott

do i have an intercooler on my corrado? i race an 8v astra gte an i think it was keeping up a bit to well and i dont know when the charger was done according to the history and recipes its never been done

Every Corrado G60 has an intercooler.. just its a bit of a small and basic one :)

If you have no reliable information and history on your supercharger, you should get it checked out as soon as possible.. if it goes pop then you are looking at about £1000 to find a new / reconditioned replacement.

yes you do have an intercooler its under the wing passenger side .... and its not very good..they benifit for an upgrade...

how many miles has you car done ??

charger should be stamped if it has been rebuilt..