Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

knocking sound

not sure if this is an interior problem or mechanicle but i hear knockin every so often, it doesnt seem to happen at any regular interval. just random

is there something loose possibly?

Passenger seat belt plug banging against the pillar? It's got me a couple of times! :oops: :)

not the seat belt as ive had people in the car belted up.

it seems to be from the front. its hard to explain the sound. Its loud enough to hear while driving and i can feel it slightly through the footwell, on the drivers side.

sorry i havent put much info. i havent really looked at the car properly since its turned up.

will look today hopefully

had a quick look under car, exshaust seems to not be knocking anywhere. Joints look solid and wheel doesnt rock.

Damper is leaking slightly.

Im wondering if the driveshaft splines have worn slightly? could this be a possible cause for the noise.

noise seems to almost come from footwell area.

It seems to only happen randomly, not when anything is turned on or even if i hit a bump.

right turns out its coming from the driveshaft. i stuck my hand under the car and rocked the drive shaft and it seemed real loose at the bottom (near wheel) is this the cv joint?

if so how much are these these days and how hard is it to change. Im relatively good at mechanics (changed cylinder head etc) but never done a cv joint