Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Multiple keys. Can i fix my door handles so i can have 1 key

You can also use any AH profile Key - like the mk3 one with the light built in...

Only thing is most VW dealers have got rid of the cutting equipement now so you have to go elsewhere and pay seperatly for that...

ok, i've got the sequence correct for the tumblers - but still when put into the handle, the damn thing doesn't turn. There aren't any tumblers standing up when the key is fully in - so guessing the mechanism in the actual handle is broken... The barrel from the other handle won't go in fully either...

Any ideas before I go buying a new handle?

make sure the barrel is inserted the correct way around, as i think it just stays in one position if its wrong.

just try the barrel in the handle before you re-assemble it, it should then be obvious why its not moving.

theres only one way the barrel can go into the handle - and yes youre right - it wont do a 1/4 turn (or whatever it is) if its wrong. I did eventually get it working by just giving it a little more force. So in the end the tumblers were incorrect (VW guys gave me some for nothing) and the barrel was very stiff - likely from no use in goodness knows how long. A bit of cleaning and greasing should have it working like new again :)

Don't you just love it when a little curiosity and faith pays off with a well earned fix!

A little advice needed..

Got the handles off and all was well - broke some bits (due to age not violence) but im just installin ETKA so no issues really to find out what they were

Problem:

The locks on the car dont match... wait for it...

Ignition key is AN profile not AH

Drivers door is different from ignition (AH)

Pass door is same as ignition (AN)

Boot doesnt work with either - not so much of an issue to solve

Problem being ive just shelled out for an origional uncut 16v key (£25) from germany, which the profile is... AH

how much of an issue is it to change the ignition barrell or have the new key cut the same as the ignition key and hope it works with a different profile :scratch:

how do you distinguish the profiles? everything so far has worked for me despite being oblivious towards profiles...

Mine are both orig VW keys - they say the profile on them, well mine do. hang on il grab a pic

Edit - Pics dont really help, dont come out well enough to see

I was waiting until I had done the boot lock (just the same but a bit harder to get the barrel out) to finish this how to, but you might as well have it now and I'll post the finished one later (probably after weekend).

Chris.