Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

focal 3 ways?

looking at some new components, seen some focal 3 ways (165v3) look very nice i imagine they have a nice range i take it id fit the woofers in the door pods, the mids in the dash but where for the tweeters? james (audioscape) tells me rainbow are the new focals! so should i move on and trust zippy!!

Hi mate if you fit the tweeters hi up you will lift imaging but could find it a bit harsh even throgh a high quality amp. I played around with a set of JL Audio 3 way Xr's in my old vr6. Eventually i made some door builds for the sixes and fitted the fours and tweeters in the kick panels, rebuilding them so that the speakers angled up towards the listeners ears, it also meant that the mids were not to distant from the woofers, so there was no gap in the different area of the sounds reaching your ears. It was a fair amount of work, but really worthwhile in the end.

The harshness of the tweeters is more influenced by the source and speaker quality than it's position. Mine are spot-on on the dash, angled into the screen. A pillar builds for the tweets can work well too but you'll probably need a bit of time alignment to sort the staging.

You're right on the mids, they need to be in kick panels to get them on axis but there's room above the door pockets (audioscape ones included) to make some mid builds. Should be able to get them on axis there too.