Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Painting my rims

Is it possible to paint alloy rims? I want to paint my bbs rims with some kind of black frost because I have always wanted black rims and don't want to spend the money or time selling mine and buying expensive ones when mine are already pretty nice. Here is a picture of my rims. Is it expensive to get it done?

You can spray them any colour you like but you need to key up (sand with a very light grade paper i.e. 1500 grade) the existing paintwork. it will be no good stripping the paint if you don't like them.

I'de only suggest changing the colour if the wheels if theyare really aged, badly scratched or pitted.

Altenatively you could pay to have them sand blasted and powder coated by a proper wheel referbisher......an expensive option.

what if you just tape everything off, paint the tape, and look at it from a distance? or do it in photochop?

Black rims on red rados usually look really great imo.

i have used black ahmmerite (smooth) and it worked out no problem and the wheels are still on my mates mk3 and have yet to have the paint fail in anyway.

stripped the laquer of the rims

What did you use for this? Nitromors? And how long did it take per wheel?

Cheers

stripped the laquer of the rims

What did you use for this? Nitromors? And how long did it take per wheel?

Cheers

Yeah, Nitromors. Just put it on leave for a couple of mins then use and old credit card to scrape it off. Its fairly easy. If you have no blemishes then rims are already nice and shiney but I rubbed my down with fine wet & dry then a few a goes with Autosol to give it a "brushed" look. You have to Autosol them every week though.