Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

tom tom 700 updates

hi, ive got a tom tom 700 and want to download the safety camera sites onto it. ive tried looking on the pocketgpsworld site but its all a bit mind boggling.

has anybody got the files they could give me links to so i can download please?

cheers Rob

ive tried doing all of that and i cant get it to bring up the speed cameras, its getting a bit frustrating now

So you've added them to the device then ?

Once you've done that you need to enable them as POI (Points of interest). Also setup a warning when you approach those POI's. Usually 250meters of them, but remember to remove any option that says "only on route" else they won't go off as they're not listed ON the road ;)

Sorry I can't give you specifics but I have tomtom 5 and this is what I had to do.

The one Ive used is called Checkpoint. it runs in parallel to tomtom and points all the static and mobile camera sites known at time of download. It also tells you audiably on aproach.

Checkpoint V2.02

Checkpoint V3 something i out but if Rob is running tom tom 700 i think he can download checkpoint 5.0.

I did it last week and its really complicated. on the pocketgpsworld site theres some good instructions but i cant find them now.

you will need to download the fils and transfer them to the correct folder on your device. then as catch twotwo said, turn the poi's on

Checkpoint does the same things as the new tomtom 5 and warns you as you approach. Checkpoint does a few more things though, like multiple warnings and a limited scope so you only get warned of ones in a certain area and not down roads you're not headed down.

far 2 techy for me i think!

will either have to get someone to show me or pay for the downloads!!

all im going to do is mess things up if i start moving files around!!

Ok... tomtom 700 is a tomtom Go right.

If so then try the instructions HERE

Zippy: Not sure but as this is a tomtom Go and not a PDA satnav checkpoint might not be compatible.

i dont think i can use the checkpoint software as its for a pda by the looks of it and im running a stand alone tom tom unit

I've been trying to do this aswell for months

just tried folowing the links and i still can't get it to work

chris

i couldnt get it to work, so i gave up before i got angry with the thing!!!

idiot guide required i think!!

How do you get Tomtom 910 updates? Mines a few years old now but i want to get the latest maps & cameras etc

How do you get Tomtom 910 updates? Mines a few years old now but i want to get the latest maps & cameras etc

If you want the official Tom Tom updates then go to http://www.tomtom.com and download Tom Tom Home.

Once you've got this installed on your PC (or Mac) plug your device into your PC via USB and the software will check for the latest software updates for your device. It will also update your maps, for a charge, if you want to.

Oh, and in a nutshell the instructions for using the PocketGPSWorld safety camera lists is as follows:

1) Connect your Tom Tom to your PC or Mac via USB so it appears as a removal storage device

2) Download the relevant list (OV2 for Tom Tom) from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

3) Extract all files in the database zip you've just downloaded to the relevant folder on the Tom Tom device. This folder will be the name of the map you have installed, for example United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

4) Enable "Warn when near POI" (under Change Preferences, Manage POI) for "pocketgps uk .." (there may be more than one)

5) Specify the distance before the POI to receive a warning

6) Specify the sound to play when warning about the POI

Note: If you select "Warn only if POI is on route" it will only alert you to the POI if you are currently following navigation instructions. If you want it to warn you even if you just have the device on, but have no route planned, then do not tick this box.

If you want more detailed instructions go to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetyc ... om-ov2.php where you can also find a guide on how to set the warning distance based on speed and the amount of warning you want.

thanks for that. Apparently the europeans (well Belgium) get the updates for free, surely there must be something similar here? Certainly for the 910 which set me back about £400 when i got it.

thanks for that. Apparently the europeans (well Belgium) get the updates for free, surely there must be something similar here? Certainly for the 910 which set me back about £400 when i got it.

I've added some notes about adding the "safety camera" warnings to the post above.

You get all software updates free in the UK, it's just the maps they charge for.