Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

ISV and stalling

The car has always had a intermittent stalling problem when coasting to a stop. Always starts ok, the revs just seem to dip to quickly for the ISV to save it.

Thing is, am I right in thinking the ISV is the solenoid between the airbox side of the throttle intake pipe and the inlet manifold? I took the connector off to have a look and the solenoid doesn't have any pins, its just solid plastic. Is this a temperature operated valve or something?

Also, the damper on the throttle body seems abit weak which could be allowing the throttle to shut off too quickly.

Any thoughts?

No, that is the crank case breather heating element that is for cold climate VR's and is obsolete on our warm climate models.

The ISV sits behind the Intake manifold, just to the right of the TB. It has 2 pipes connecting to it and one goes to the rectangular black plastic mufler thing. Hope that makes sense?

Sounds like you may need a new TB damper if yours is noticably weak.

Dutch

That's a dummy plug mate, cold climate VRs have a heater there.

The ISV is the metal L shaped Bosch device under the top cable tidy. Try cleaning it out with some carb cleaner and also raise up that dashpot you described. There's a 13mm nut underneath, slacken it off and wind it up so that it catches the throttle earlier.

Good luck! Mine had that problem too and the only way I could get rid of it once and for all was to fit OBD2!

EDIT: beaten by Dutch!

Try cleaning out the ISV and check the foam in the ISV "rectangular black plastic mufler thing" hasn't come loose and blocked the pipe.

8)

Failing all that try a basic settings to reset the TPS.

Failing that (like me), get yourself a new MAF. That eventually solved my stalling once and for all.

Dutch

Cheers all, that makes sense now. Had the hole engine out and apart can't remember seeing the ISV. :roll: Will try cleaning that tonight.

I changed that mufler thing about 15k ago after the old one blew itself to bits. :lol: Was quite impressive, can't quite remember how that happened now.

Interesting you mention the MAF, if it is faulty that may tie up with the mighty 250miles I'm just about to reach from a full tank. (17MPG I make it) :mad:

MAF is a common cause for random stalling and the car can still drive with almost full power and VAG-COM won't flag it.

...it's also the most expensive bit to replace when troublshooting stalling issues so most don't bother trying it until there's no other option left.

Dutch