Sign in to follow this  
AB

just wondering

hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me how my untuned 1.8 16V corrado would stand up against my mates untuned 1.8 8v digifant mk2 golf. he said he should leave me standing just curious. i dont mind if he would cos mine looks better. :lol:

8v has more low down torque, but 16v has torque higher up the rev range and more bhp, so, in theory, he should beat you off the line, but you should pull him back.

But there is only one way to really find out! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: G60Dave does not condone illegal street racing in any way.... He just participates!

I had a little race against my mates mk2 8v (std apart from scorpion exhaust) and there was very little in it, his pulled away slightly at low revs but once mine got above 4k it started to catch up.

I went up against my mate's 1990 1.8 16v Corrado when I had a 1990 1.8 8v Golf GTI. It was pretty similar up to about 100mph then he just left me trailing. It wasn't a race from a standing start though. I feel the Golf may have had the edge in the first two gears.

long as i dont get left standing i dont mind. what are the power figures of the two? i presume the golf is a little lighter as well.

thanks i suppose with power to weight they are pretty close. thanks for your help.

they certainly don't. the 16 seems to be ahead on power and torque all the way through.

another myth busted wide open!!!!

16v kicks in at 3-3.5k revs

surely the 8v golf is just shorter geared than a 16v??

Ratios of golf 8v and 16v boxes are the same except 5th