Sign in to follow this  
Silvermayne

Dash Speakers

Small cry out to the people in the know. I recently fitted a new sound system to my Corrado. Sony all around. However, when I change out the passanger side dash speaker from the stock one to the Sony, it doesn't work. I swapped the speakers, incase the Sony was bust, but it plays in the driver's side and the rear deck. Any ideas on what could be causing this???

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

You need to trace the wiring back to work out which bit of wire isn't working - the factory wiring goes from the headunit to the tweeter, then down to the door, so if they're both not working then it will probably be a bad connection on the back of the headunit. If the door driver is working, then it'll be a connection to the tweeter itself.

Of course, if you've got them running off a separate amp and/or have a crossover in the equation, then it's a bit harder to pinpoint.

You need to find the last point that the signal is working and then follow the wiring from there to find where it's not connecting.

wiring goes from the headunit to the tweeter, then down to the door

So the speaker in the dash is a tweeter not a small mid?

As many others, i have no speakers in my doors > generally is the wiring routed but not in use? if not can you feed off the tweeters down to the door?

I would assume the wiring is there, but it's not used. Otherwise they'd have to make up a different loom for people that did and didn't want door speakers.

Pop the speaker cover off and have a look about to see if you can see the wires anywhere.

If you have no door speakers, then the ones in the dash may well be small mids, but I know on my VR it was a 5.25" driver in the door and a tweeter in the dash.

As far as running wires to the doors - you can run them down the side/back of the dash and then through the tube to the door, but it'll probably easier to do it with the dash out. If you're taking the dash out, then you might as well run the wires back to the head unit...

Depends on how far you want to take it really. If you're putting components in, then you'll also have a crossover which needs to find a home too.