Sign in to follow this  
madhatta

exoert reqd: Is The 1.8 engine the same as a golfs?

Is there any difference in fuel consumption after doing this mod - If youre just driving normally and not flooring it at every opportunity ?

Nope, as long as you don't go any faster than you used to, there's no extra fuel used...

The only things it does are to allow more air in towards full throttle, and make the lower throttle more responsive as you don't have to wait for the second butterfly valve to open... It's a pretty much linear throttle response that you get after fitting the Weber body rather than having a kink in it where the second valve comes into effect... 8)

Thanks for answering that Henny

This KE jetronic fueling system. What does KE jetronic mean ?

Is KE jetronic the type of system that would be on a standard 1.8 16v Corrado?

yup... KE-Jetronic was fitted to all KR engined VWs (1.8 16V) It's the Bosch name for the mechanical injection systems fitted to VW (and quite a few other makes of) cars.

MKI Golf GTIs used straight K-jetronic injection (also known as CIS - Constant injection system) and this was later upgraded to include some electronics and sensors/switches on the later cars such as the KR engined VWs - Hence K E-Jetronic... 8)

The "Jetronic" part of the name's a bit of a con really... it makes you think it's an electronic injection system, when in reality, it's a mechanical system... :roll: :lol:

Either way, it's still a bloody good system even today 'cos it's so damned simple there's not a lot can go wrong with it as long as you look after the fuel filters... 8)

Wile we are on the issue of the mk2 16V engine being the same as the corrado, does this mean that an exhaust systems from a mk2 will fit a corrado?or is it a different design yeah?

Are you sure all c 16vs are ke as im sure mine is just k-jet its a 90 plate

yup, have a look at the throttle body and you'll see a switch on there... have a look at a MKI golf GTI and there isn't one... There's not an awful lot of difference between K adn KE jetronic except for a couple of switches and a better idle stabilisation system on the KE... 8)

Wile we are on the issue of the mk2 16V engine being the same as the corrado, does this mean that an exhaust systems from a mk2 will fit a corrado?or is it a different design yeah?

I don't think it's the same as the Corrado is a bigger car, the engine bay is a different shape and I know that the Corrado downpipe is different from a Golfs... :?

Are you sure all c 16vs are ke as im sure mine is just k-jet its a 90 plate

yup, have a look at the throttle body and you'll see a switch on there... have a look at a MKI golf GTI and there isn't one... There's not an awful lot of difference between K adn KE jetronic except for a couple of switches and a better idle stabilisation system on the KE... 8)

I don't think it's the same as the Corrado is a bigger car, the engine bay is a different shape and I know that the Corrado downpipe is different from a Golfs... :?

nope, the 1.8 16v C has exactly the same downpipe as a golf mk2 16v, the 2.0 16v C has a CAT and therefore a shorter downpipe without the first silencer.

1.8's have K-jet (only very minor differences to the 1970's golf GTIs K-jet) and 2.0's have KE-jet which adds knock sensors, a cat, lambda probe and a full ECU with fault recording but is still based on k-jet and will resort back to basic k-jet operation if the ECU fails.

David.

David.

1.8's have K-jet (only very minor differences to the 1970's golf GTIs K-jet) and 2.0's have KE-jet which adds knock sensors, a cat, lambda probe and a full ECU with fault recording but is still based on k-jet and will resort back to basic k-jet operation if the ECU fails.

David.

David, it seems I owe you an appology... :o

For all these years I've been playing with 16V KR engines, it seems that I've been wrong in what I though the injection system type was... :| :oops:

You are absolutely correct that the 1.8 16V KR engine IS just straight K-jetronic, and that the 2.0 16V is KE (although it was known as KE Motronic, not KE-Jetronic...) 8)

The main difference on the KR engines from the early Golfs is the idle stabiliation systems... the KR used an ISV, the MKI GTI just used an auxillary air regulator...

I stand corrected, and slightly more educated... 8) :thumbleft: :notworthy:

Sorry to anyone who has been confused by my incorrect info, and thanks David for giving the correct info... 8)

would anything be gained by putting a mk2 GTI 16v 52mm inlet manifold on me rado, replacing the smaller one?

search for larger manifold on this forum and youll find all info there. IVE DONE IT :shock:

Hi Henny,

It gets even more confusing when you read Haynes (nothing new there!) but the mk1's sold in some countries did have emission controls (e.g. California spec cars) and this was known as 'CIS-E' whereas the standard K-jet was known as 'CIS' [Constant Injection System] for some reason this has stuck in my head from my MK 1 days and I always forget the 9A engines system was called Motronic. I'm sure there's KL and KM Jetronic or similar too, cos XR3i's, Porsches and loads of other stuff used slightly modified version of this Bosch system.

Not that any of this is massively interesting anyway... I'm boring myself now :geek:

cheers,

David.

Sounds like an impessive mod to do 8)

Might have to give um a call and see if they got any left in stock :)

Im having my throttle bodie flowed at the moment. Surely this should have the same sort of effect???????

Just rang a few mins ago and ordered mine :D

Let us know how you get on. Thinking of doing this on my 2.0 if the results are good.

Dave

Just rang a few mins ago and ordered mine :D

Let us know how you get on. Thinking of doing this on my 2.0 if the results are good.

Dave

No worries dave

I'm gonna do the cam change and the wur mod aswell when i do it and visit stealth i think for a rolling road

Yo BelfastFuManchu, did you order one of those? Just spoke to the Carb Hospital, and they said they shipped on to Ireland. Anyways, they've got one left - but the price is sitting at £180!! AAARRRRGG it's the wrong side of payday! However, the bonus is - matey said that it was a complete kit. So Henny is that all you'd need to do the mod?

Thanks

randal

you may need a spring off another throttle body to make the peddle a bit firmer, but it depends on how firm you like your throttle to feel under your foot... I found I had slight problems when I first did mine due to having size 14 feet and a lead left foot! ;) The new ones seem to have a better/stiffer spring, so you should be OK... 8)

As I mentioned before, you'll need to make up a bracket to attach the idle switch to, but other than that, it's a plug and play affair... 8)

Ah OK, guess I can pull the spring off the stock TB. I know the feeling, size 12's and a right foot that only knows the on or off position : :lol: Suggestions of the bracket? Cracked the speaker covers btw, balsa wood and staples work a treat.

Thanks again chap,

randal

I never actually had to make a bracket 'cos mine was used on a MKI golf 16V which didn't have any of the ISV cr@p attached! ;) Basically it just needs a bit of sheet metal bent into a shape so that the switch can be attached and do the same job it does now... 8)