Sign in to follow this  
woodmanr

Paint peeling

The clearcoat on my hood has started to bubble and peel off. This is the second time that has happened. The first time was about 6 years ago when my dad has the car. the car is a 1990 G60. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Wood Roettinger

G60

woodmanr, Welcome to the forum...

It may just be down to the paintjob not being that great... but obviously may be due to a very hot climate? also the G60's run fairly hot, is the bonnet sound proofing foam still in place? - this may not make a difference but thought it was worth asking...

Its can sometimes happen when the paint is not compleetly dried off/hardened/what ever it does in the oven, and the laquer is put on too soon. Something about the paint srinks and the laquer not. ( I was told this by someone that lies alot so it may not be true, please feel free to shoot me down if i am wrong)

ah ill remember that, wanting to get my WHOLE motor done.

Ive rang a few places and theyve told me itll be around £1200 for a fll respray. Will this include doing under the bonnet and places that are consealed and the interior. Will they strip the car down to do it or will they just do what you can see?

Any ideas from those who have had a full respray?

Kev, let us know of any tips for spraying the mirrors, i'd like to have a go at that, mine have a few chips on them.

Wee note of advice Critical_Mass - If they're going to be respraying everything make sure they're not going to just be taking off the black rubber & plastic trim and then resticking it after cos it never goes back on properly !

Top companies should ensure that only brand new trim is put on once the spraying's done.

And again, top companies should strip the whole car down. Just make sure you know before booking it in.

Don't get it sprayed without having the place recommeded or seeing their work first. It's a pain but will be worth it.

£1200 sounds very cheap for a full respray, but check them out and see what they're like.

Kev, let us know of any tips for spraying the mirrors, i'd like to have a go at that, mine have a few chips on them.

Will do mate. I'm just going to mask it off and paint it in situ. It's not worth stripping it right off for the sake of a rudimentary blow over :-)

Just keeping the old girl patched up until I can afford a full glass out repaint!

Got *ANOTHER* fog to redo tonight aswell..... flippin stones....

Depending who does it the price will vary pretty drastically.

2k+ for most places.

3k+ for most top ones.

Could be cheaper over in England but I don't imagine it could be that different.

I spoke to the manager of a place called Rathkenny Motors a couple of years ago. Big top car dealers & body repair place over here. For 4-5k they would of stripped all the old paint off...brought it right down to the metal - taken the bumpers, lights, all trim off. Basically just leaving the car as a shell and then spraying it.

Then drying it off not with the ovens that most places use, but with some sophisticated laser dryer, lol. Sounds fancy eh?

Thats as good a job as you'll get but like I said 4-5k & that's a lot of money to most people.

90% of people go for a 2k+ job and have a paint job to be proud of.