Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Dash LCD,s

As above Hellllpppppp,

Used the search but to no avail and have my dash apart on the living room table!!!!!!!

Am wanting to change the LCD,s to blue and have taken them apart. I have found a green and a white sheet (filter I think) in front of the lcd and want to know if I chuck away the green and replace with a blue one or both.

Cheers Tim

is there a "How To" on this modification? Wanna change mine too, but want to do it once, and do it properly. Anyone know the definitive thread for this?

There's a how-to up on the CCC website in the Technical info section, but I have a feeling that Mr. Failure has a better method of doing things?

Fancy doing a write-up? :)

Edit: Dammit, he already has :lol:

nice article gradeAfailure,

Anyone know, how do i make the whole instrument cluster light up blue instead of green?

Cheers again gradeAfailure,

Does the car drive and operate as normal with the clock out of the car? Am thinking of taking the whole thing out and taking my time over it in doors rather than rush it in one evening.

Always wanted to do this mod, but like i say, dont wanna rush it and have a broken instrument cluster!

PS, where do you get/buy "coloured" filters to change the colour?

I went to my local disco equipment seller and bought a couple of sheets of lighting gel - just place the original filters on the sheet and cut round it!

TBH mate, it takes less than 2 hours all-in, including cutting the new filters, so an easy job for a weekend afternoon...

bought my kit from ebay theres a guy that sells the kits well easy todo not very expensive and it comes with full instructions if i can do it anyone can...!

gradeAfaliure---Cheers all done now just have to put them back in the car.

2nd time I have done this as I bought a kit of LED,s off E-Bay and was not happy with the results. Hopefully all is now sorted.

What did you paint the needles with to get the red look?

Cheers Tim

You need late-spec or VR needles - they're red :)

You need late-spec or VR needles - they're red :)

Anyone got a spare set or can I buy them from anywhere?? :oops:

I bought a set of VR clocks just to steal the needles for my Passat! For the ones I sold chilly, I just masked off the std white needles and sprayed them with red spray paint...

Ok put dash back in lights work well and LCD,s are blue. Only problem is the bulb on the left above the fuel guage is not working. The bulb is fine as have tried in a different holder.

Any Ideas???

They're all on the same piece of flexible circuit that plugs onto the main board - i'd check it for breaks, and that it's plugged in correctly... Do you have a multimeter that you can buzz it out with?

They're all on the same piece of flexible circuit that plugs onto the main board - i'd check it for breaks, and that it's plugged in correctly... Do you have a multimeter that you can buzz it out with?

Couldnt see any breaks and pretty sure I have put it all back together properly. I know a man with a multimeter so will check tomorrow. But If the first one is out due to a fault on the flex wouldnt they all fail???

No - I suspect they're wired in parallel rather than in series, as otherwise all three would go out of only one bulb blew... It could well be a fault on the flex line that feeds just that bulb...