Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

Dilemma...

Hi

My girlfriend and I are buying a house in a few weeks, which means my postcode will change from a B bracket to atleast a D/E. Therefore my insurance has gone up by 300 quid :shock:

I love my car but paying nearly a grand to insure the car has left me wondering whether it is worth it.

Its left me thinking that I could buy a newer, faster car in the same insurance group for not much more than I could trade in my C for. Or, on the other hand, I could take the hit and try and mod my C to go faster e.g. 24v, V5T, 16vG60 etc....(too many thoughts!)

Ideally, I would like a car which is going to be relatively niggle free, pref RWD without a huge insurance premium. I am 23 with max NCB (protected), IT professional and will be living in Manchester.

What cars do people recommend? any links and pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading, didn't need this when I am broke to buy this house!

Andrew

I simply insured it at my parents address when I was with one company. When the guy quoted me at my own address, he asked if it could be registered anywhere else, like if I could park it at my parents house nudge nudge. I registered it there, saving me £200 :)

Keep the Corrado and like capnahab says insure it at your parents if possible (keep your driving license & V5 registered there as well cos the insurers want a copy if you have an accident).

When I lived in a dodgy area of Manchester for a year whilst at Uni the car was supposedly in Devon, saving me about £600 on the premium! They never even asked what it was doing in Manchester when it was broken into twice in the space of 10 days. :roll:

Surely if the car is (for example) stolen from your new address and it was registered at another it would invalidate your policy?

Yeah, it sounds gay, but it's true.

If anything were to go wrong, you'd be under alot more stress than need be, you could risk not getting paid out for the sake of £300. Insurance companies don't need much of an excuse not to pay out.

yeah there is no way I would risk doing that especially when I will have house deeds, mortgage and house insurance all in my name at our house!

I spent yesterday looking around at cars, I mean at working :oops:, to be honest there isn't much that grabs me like my C. 200sx was an option but meh, they just seem so generic (although I would love have RWD and Turbo)

I think I have settled on keeping the car for this year and getting the most out of it at track days - that way I have plenty of good memories of how good the car is!

Lippy, does you other half drive and does she have a good NCB? If so have her as the policy holder and you as a named driver on your C, and on her car have you as the policy holder and her as a named driver. This is what be and the better half have done and it is not against the law. VR insurance is about £500 FC for us. This way you both keep you NCB and get to drive the cars you want.

To answer your other car request (as everyone else will probably say keep the corrado)....

i quite like the 200sx - shorter and prettier than a skyline and still reasonably pokey with plently of potential and RWD.

Thats the one thing i would love to cx about the corrado - really miss RWD fun :(

sx4.jpg

cheers H8rra, the sx does seem a natural upgrade path! roundabouts are tempting in the wet ;) :D

g/f has only just passed her test, therefore conversations with insurance companies about her on the Rado end like this

"MWWUUUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that will be £££££££££" !