Sign in to follow this  
brandonvw

G60 high mileage

My G60 now has nearly 180k on the clock. Its nearly all motorway miles, but even so someone mentioned to me about getting it rebuilt, or stripping it down and giving it a good going over. What would be involved in doing this? Im a fairly competant DIY mechanic so would definatly attept this myself. What sort of things would need doing? Is it just a case of strip her down and clean her up, or should major components be replaced, and if so whats likley? Finally, a long shot, but how much would this likely cost me if its the replace parts option?

catch_twotwo, not exceptionally. There is an oil leak, that im trying to track down and I thought that it might be a worth while thing to do, in case she is getting tired. Although Im not sure how you can tell this.

I hit 150K today and still runs sweet as a nut.

But am really considering a rebuild just ensure more good driving.

I might consider a rebuild in another 10k or so..... but depends on cost. If I can get a resonable 16v block for the same as a rebuild I might fo 16vG60....

im on 144k runs sweet! the 8v is a solid engine i had an 8v gti before this and never had a problem! just service it reguarly and she should go for ages!

you could get darren from g-werks to do you an intermediate service! and a health check! he's the man in the know when it comes to the g-ladder

I might consider a rebuild in another 10k or so..... but depends on cost. If I can get a resonable 16v block for the same as a rebuild I might fo 16vG60....

I am thinking the same thing. Why are we never satisfied with what we have.

MUST BE FASTER, MUST BE LOWER, MUST BE CLEANER.

MUST BE FASTER, MUST BE LOWER, MUST BE CLEANER. :D

We are satisfied..... but then 30 seconds later we see something better and then it all starts again :lol:

When I got back from g-werks in November I thought.. "Just some Ice, and bodywork then I'm happy" now 2 months later "Just a chip, pulley,and... and..."

It's the Rado curse.....

Maybe it's also that pleasent feeling you get as you cruse past an ass in something that cost £50,000 and he can't even hope to keep up or look that individual.

Mine has passed 412000k now and it only starting to show probs with oil use. But no worries my brand spanking new engin is going to be put in very soon. And of course its a 8V PG G60 again.

Mine has passed 412000k now and it only starting to show probs with oil use. But no worries my brand spanking new engin is going to be put in very soon. And of course its a 8V PG G60 again.

You went for a new 8V PG G60 :?:

You didn't think of a 16v with a charger.. or a 24v conversion then....

yeah 8v bock is a goodun, had a golf syncro a while back that was on 175k and had likley not seen much attention before i go it, bit of work, gti bits and it was a flying machine. engine rebuild could take may forms depending on how far you want to go. Its fairly easy to rebuild the head (new tappest, vales gear, seals). The block isnt that hard once you have it out and all the bits you need. Depends on if any bore damange of course

The G-lader is your main area of concern, get that rebuilt first and everything else should be ok. The 8v PG block is one of the strongest VW ever made and i think shells are all that normally need doing on the bottom end.

Head wise i would look at a bit of cam action and flowing which should be helpful for a bit more power.