Sign in to follow this  
sciroccotune

changing drivers track rod - tips?

hello forum peeps 8)

When i finish work (@ 1pm) i will be heading home to change my driversside track rod, track rod end.

does any one have any tips for me?

I did manage to get a track rod with a multi sloted end to allow better spanner action. Im guessing i can splint the track rod end with a hammer and screwdriver as i dont need it again.

is there anything else i need??

cheers (i may even get time to do my rocker cover gasket if all goes well)

the track rod is tighter than hell into the rack...i ended up having the rack out on a golf, but a good tip is to remove the lower arm so you can get at it

then match up the length best you can with the old one before fitting

oh dear, sounds like this could be fun! I have a bit of movemnt in this area and im hoping that this new arm will solve the problem- if not new rack so will be rack out anyway if it looks fine!

oh dear its sounding worse and worse, i was worried this may be the case. but thanks for teh info so far, keep it coming. Im acctually not really sure how the track rod could cause movment now, as its solid where its connects to teh rack?? well ill get the boot off and have a look. keep the ideas coming :-)

Never had a problem on any track rod ends I have done on VW's, just use decent quality spanners that are the right size and lever them against each other if you see what I mean.

Jay

the locking nut can be a right git to undo,a good wire brush to clean the threads and a blow torch

He won't need to do this if he's changing the whole rod, you can re-use the rack boot by hacksawing the old rod if neccessary but they don't cost much... Before you do this tho make sure you have measured the old one so you can set the new one up!

You will need a fairly thin 32mm spanner - the fan ones that Halfords sell should fit but not sure if they are strong enough... you will also need a fork type ball joint splitter to get the end off (fiver, Halfords)

Make sure you use thread lock when putting the new rod on...

you will also need a fork type ball joint splitter to get the end off (fiver, Halfords)

So you dont think ill get away with using a big hammer? I knew i would have to do it the correct way :lol:

is it just the one spanner i will be needing? not sure i have a 32mm so will buy one?

You'd probably do it with a hammer but for the sake of a fiver...

Check the new rod to make sure it's 32mm before buying it... adjustables won't fit due to the limited space between the subframe and wishbone...

Play - have you jacked it up and looked for play in the rod?? - I could just about feel mine but it was much more clear when I got the end off, about 1mm of movement in the balljoint where it met the rack...!

When jacked, the wheel will move side to side by a few mm (same when you pull on the track rod) but it is hard to tell where the movement came from rack end or track end (em end).

The arm i have got goes from the normal tie end to a big threded end . have i been given the right part?

edit. i assume that the rod is fixed to the end of the rack and ball jointed to the strut.

Sounds correct yes...

indeed it was/is!

Well after a few hours of foofin about its all in and has improved the feel of the car no end. I did make the mistake of not getting a new boot so i had to go to VW for one (no where else open) and its cost the princely sum of £21!!!!!!!! and 2 for the clips!!!

so with another VW bargin under my belt the old track rod with about 2-3 mm play is safely in the bin.

thanks supercharged, thanks guys!

:-D