Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

G60 random burning smell! only occasional

hi lads have this really not very nice burning smell today and a few times in past? but its defo not petrol smell!

Im a bit worried as obviously you think supercharger is knackered?

its only happened a few times before when in 5th!

but today I had heating on full heat but the fan power on 0! if that makes sense!

and it felt like it was making the smell in pretty much every gear?

can someone please advise?

could it be the heater matrix?

or is the supercharger in bad repair?

the boost its running seems fine not quite as high as Id like but not low enough to have a boost leak or broken charger?

the charger was rebuilt the end of 03! by jabba sport and has done just under 14k since being re-built!

Check that the belts are tight enough, could be belts slipping and causing a burning smell.

I would doubt it is your charger, can't see how this would give off a burning smell.

hi flusted yeah i cant remember whether it did it when you came in car but its quite strong at times but then nmost of the time it doesnt happen?

it is like a plasticy greasy burning smell bit like flusted said sorry cant describe it never smelt something like it before?

the matey who had it before had a problem with the heating hot then cold i also know he changed the thermostat over! if this is any help not sure if he replaced blower mtor thou!

ive been in car,it smells like grease burning? its not matrix

So are you saying it 'Smells like greased lightning..'?!

..sorry :oops: :)

I'd check the belts and see if anything is near your exhaust manifold

the smell you are smelling is either being caused by bad valve seals (which I doubt is the case because you would see blue smoke on start up), OR its the oil in, if the car is equipped with no boost return then the oil goes out to the K&N filter which then gets fumey and seeps its way into the heater system, get a carbon fiber scuttle cover or take a piece of acrylic plastic and cut it to fit the full scuttle, the gasses will not get in and you wont have the icky smell anymore, its oil & engine gasses that are making the smell no matter where it is coming from.

put an oil catch tank in, see if that helps, and if not, you'll have something shiny to look at ;D

So are you saying it 'Smells like greased lightning..'?!

*cried and laughed for way too long*

Potatonet_ OR its the oil in, if the car is equipped with no boost return then the oil goes out to the K&N filter which then gets fumey and seeps its way into the heater system,

it does sound like this one!

can you please explain it a bit better as what to do as im a total novice potatonet thankyou for answers

the engine gasses go out what it called a breather, there is a normal breather output that goes into the boost return system on boost return equipped corrados, this way the funny smell stays in the intake tract. removing the boost return allows this smell to be vented to the air in the engine bay, seepage causes you to smell it because there is a box vent system below the window glass for your car to get air from the outside, cover it fully and you should be good.