Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

hardening the dampeners on my koni coilovers

hello lads have koni coilovers all round but want to make the rear harder and have less rear dampening so that i can run it lower! i have heard something about a key but i havent got one!

so can this be done?

A few members have Koni coils and should be able to answer the key question but you don't want the rear stiffer than the front, that will induce some nasty oversteer action on slimey roundabouts :-)

A few members have Koni coils and should be able to answer the key question but you don't want the rear stiffer than the front, that will induce some nasty oversteer action on slimey roundabouts :-)

nasty??

that's a good thing isn't it?? ;)

nasty??

that's a good thing isn't it?? ;)

I think NickVR6 has had some experience adjusting the Koni dampers :lol:

hello lads have koni coilovers all round but want to make the rear harder and have less rear dampening so that i can run it lower! i have heard something about a key but i havent got one!

so can this be done?

if it rubs, it will still rub after u done the above and the ride is flipping STIFF like backbreaking and you WILL get a head/neck ache on long journeys... its not worth it mate... handles amazingly though...

if u need a key, try venom or koni direct or the usual suspension outlets their quite easy to find tbh... if i find a spare one will send it to you,,,

i've got koni coilovers, you can use a key but tbh its useless for the rear as you need to remove the speaker shelves to get it in, i used some pliers on the rear and the key on the front

anti clockwise makes it firmer as youcan see from the pic

thankyou very much everyone! so i've gotta make sure i do the front two as well? gixxer i have looked at the back one and once i had taken the cap off theres hardly any room! it doesnt exactly rub constant! its on dips and big bumps the arch is cutting into tyre! i just thought if i made it harder then this would eradicate that but can see that ride would be uncomfortable!

iow_corrado_g60, its worth a go mate , it should reduce the damping action, so less movement , yeah its a pain to get in there , sure i used long nose pliers but you dont get much of a turn on it , the alternative is to take the side shelves out :-(

its got to be done dont like replacing tyres when treads fine but no side walls thanks for help gixxer will update do they turn alot or is it like only a 1 full turn for full adjustment?

you can adjust the damping with an adjustable - which works better than the plastic wheel anyway. as the poto shows, anticlockwise for firmer damping.

as kev says, you really don't want firm rear and less firm front - ask chilly - i had him in the passenger seat when i hoofed round a corner with stiff rear, soft front settings with koni coilovers and got wildy out of shape - severe, very rapid oversteer...... be warned.

iow_corrado_g60, iirc its more than a full turn but its not a lot mate , have a play , set it go for a run adjust etc , they are quite sensitive though mate :-) , lock em down and go karting :-)

i've got koni coilovers, you can use a key but tbh its useless for the rear as you need to remove the speaker shelves to get it in, i used some pliers on the rear and the key on the front

I just took the rear speakers out, the whole job took 10 mins from soft to hard :wink: Plus its easier to gauge how far you are turning them, so as to match either side.

They are sensitinve tho 1 360 rotation makes loads of difference. I might back mine off a bit

The fronts should be firmer than that backs, the best thing to do is wind them to soft everytime you adjust them and then back to where you want them making sure both sides are the same...

I just took the rear speakers out, the whole job took 10 mins from soft to hard :wink: Plus its easier to gauge how far you are turning them, so as to match either side.

They are sensitinve tho 1 360 rotation makes loads of difference. I might back mine off a bit

good idea the rears on mine are unplugged anyhoo :wink:

thankyou very much everyone! so i've gotta make sure i do the front two as well? gixxer i have looked at the back one and once i had taken the cap off theres hardly any room! it doesnt exactly rub constant! its on dips and big bumps the arch is cutting into tyre! i just thought if i made it harder then this would eradicate that but can see that ride would be uncomfortable!

If the arch is rubbing on the tyre then there's usually 2 culprits.

1. Your springs are slightly too soft for the ride height you want - the springs hold the car up - the dampers control the spring oscillations - soft springs will still compress - hardening the dampers usually affects the rebound only

2. Your wheel and tyre combination simply sticks out too far for the wheel arches to accomodate ... either change them or roll back the arches at a bodyshop