Sign in to follow this  
nathangt4

Strange water leak VR6

Hello,

On my Brothers VR6, it has a strange water leak, doesn't do it all the time and it appears to be coming from the back of the engine, we have done a pressure test which was normal and no leaks during the test. When it leaks it is a steady drip and can lose the whole bottle within a week maybe. There are no obvious water marks on the engine at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan

Welcome to the forum...

I'd check the heater matrix hoses and the expansion tank itself - maybe try replacing the cap before the whole tank tho if you suspect it's comeing from there....

Thank You,

It isn't the bottle, it seems to be coming from the back middle of the engine if that makes sense :)

Thanks

Nathan

Could be a core plug???

Otherwise check all around as that could just be where it appears to be coming from due to the path of the water, so chack all of the hose connections and the plastic connectors that bolt onto the block all around the sides of the engine!

It's not a Vauxhall Sam, lol!

(Could be tho or the headgasket if it's actually coming from the engine but I've not heard of many VR's spitting out coreplugs...)

I wouldn't say it was a likely fault but if there are no other leaks and the water is actually coming from the block - then it could well be a core plug!

Have you seen it drip? I would suspect the auxilliary water pump, I've had two leak on me, it could be that leaking and dripping onto the block next to it. Its at the back rhs (as you look at it) of the engine.

I'll second that, my auxillary water pump leaks and it seems to be a common problem on the VR, definately worth checking.

iirc the overflow pipe from the expansion tank runs to the throttle body at the back middle of the engine , checkitsnot blocked/ leaking

Thanks for the replies, I think it could be the auxillary water pump then as that is the general area of the leak, I have only seen the water leaking from under the car not from the block but we worked it out as it was sitting in the same place and that is the area of the puddle on the floor.

Thanks again

Nathan

Bet you a quid it will be the heater feed hose from the top rear of the engine, it's a common failure and difficult to see when it leaks. Part no is 1H0121157H, costs about £32

Bet you a quid it will be the heater feed hose from the top rear of the engine, it's a common failure and difficult to see when it leaks. Part no is 1H0121157H, costs about £32

Indeed another possible, I had one that developed a pin hole.

Like Supercharged and 2CC both said - the first one to go is usually the heater-matrix-to-head hose which would put the water in *exactly* the spot you're talking about. You can't see it unless you take the ignition cable guides off from around the throttle body. It usually splits right above the connection to the head, and it's also often caused by sloppy engine mounts allowing the engine to put the hose under too much pressure.

If it is the auxillary water pump you would nornally see water on top of the gearbox near to the rubber grommit that you remove to check the timing marks on the flywheel.

If there's no water there after a run then it probably isn't the pump.

Well, just a thought, but on one of my VRs, the head gasket went, first thing noticed was that the water way worked its way to the side of the engine. In my case was the front drivers side, although also I had problems with over preasurising of the water system and blowing water pipes, even blew teh matrix!!! In the end the gasket went big time, but took ages, was a lot of head scratching, as the usual signs werent there!!!!. Doubt it is, but might want to keep it in mind, Also just out of interest, what age is your VR? Early 92-93?