Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

What smells of burning in my Corrado???

Last night when I drove home, there seemed to be alot of people with bonfires, or so I thought.

This morning driving to work more people were having bon fires.

When I arrived at work and got out of my car I could smell burning again.

So, I am now suspicious that it is my car. I am going to have a good look round it at lunchtime.

There are several things I have in mind to check, but it would be useful to hear if anyone else has experienced this and what they found was causing it.

So far, I'm thinking:

Heater fan, obviously this has been used a fair bit in the cold weather, but I can smell the burning outside of the car.

Clutch, the clutch is not slipping, so I don't think it is this.

Brakes binding, I've been leaving the handbrake off overnight and the rears definately are not binding, I could feel the car role a little as I got in. Will check the discs for any signs of getting hot ie looking blue. There is no obvious increase in fuel consumption or reduction in performance.

Wiring, a tricky one to check, because so much of it is covered up, but I'll do my best. I don't think it is the usual one where you get smoke around the steering column from the indicator switch - I've has that already and sorted it, there is no smoke at the moment.

Engine bay, obviously I will be having a good look around under the bonnet.

Any additional thoughts would be much appreciated.

Nope, although not had the bonnet open for a couple of weeks, so there is a possibility of an oil leak - something definate worth looking for. Cheers.

I know this might sound daft, but can you describe the smell at all?

'Burning' clutches have a very distinctive smell (try pulling away in 5th gear if you need an idea of what that smells like. Actually, don't :-P )

Likewise electric motors (e.g. fans, alternators, PAS pumps) burning out give an acrid electricy smell (think dodgems).

If it smells like burning plastic, it could be insulation tape from a cable coming loose and touching the block (or something else hot).

Just some thoughts... though I should point out that I'm not a Corrado expert, just someone who'd had their share of strange smells from various cars over the years!

I know this might sound daft, but can you describe the smell at all?

It's kind of a sweet smell, not really like burning brakes or clutch or for that matter like a burnt electrical component.

have you checked to see if you have run over a tescos bag and its stuck on the exhaust?

No I haven't actually. Not even thought of that one - good idea.

CoxyLaaaaaaaad!, You were almost right, not a Tesco bag but some red and white stripy warning tape stuff, wrapped around the exhaust just before the centre silencer where the hangers are.

Well done mate, saved me a lot of messing around looking for more complicated things. Just need to get it up on the ramps tonight to pull it all off.

have you checked to see if you have run over a tescos bag and its stuck on the exhaust?

that has to be guess of the day :lol: well done!

glad you sorted it mate, ill remember this tip