Corrado G60

Kerb Weight: 1115 kg

Engine Capacity: 17811 cc

Power: 160@6300 bhp/rpm

Torque: 165@4000 lb/ft

Maximum Speed: 137 mph

0 - 62 mph: 8.9 seconds

Fuel Consumption: 32 mpg

Amazing how things move on aint it? A fat n/a 2.0 with almost equivalent figures to a lean mean G-lader machine? Anyone in a G60 been surprised by one of these of the lights?

Surely a g60 is faster to 60 than 8.9? Also the golf is mega heavy at just under 1400kg I am sure a 1.8 16v would probably out run one.

There is no way that the figure for 0-60 was 8.9 secs for the Corrado G60, IIRC is was around 7.5-7.8 from most motor mag tests. Also the MK5 FSI is a lot heavier so wouldn't be a patch on the G60 in terms of performance.

Cheers

8.9 secs is what Autocar achieved with their G60....which a month or two later funnily enough needed a new g/box............so basically a car with a faulty g/box gave those figs.............VW figs are normally spot on too btw

the g60 will be alot quicker like big tartan said the characteristics would be totally different you think torquey 8v supercharged versus 2.0ltr naturally aspirated! torque is more of key than big bhp! the only thing better about the 2.0 fsi will be m.p.g

was it not something to do with the g60 gear ratios that gave it a crappy 0-60?

Yea, they only go to 55 in second.

The trick is to change early in first and use the torque in second :wink:

Once you get into third you'll leave him behind. The G60 always sucked in 1st and 2nd! :(

VR6 2nd gear in the G60 box seems to be a popular if slightly expensive mod.. allows you to hit 60 in 2nd which helps shave down the 0-60 nicely?

Compare the relative new prices of each though ....

what do you mean? the golf is dear in comparison or the corrado is?

So what 0-60 times have we go here then? Those figures came from the corrado forum knowledge base, so someone needs to change them if they're wrong :p

I'm aware of the torque difference but it doesn't look that great from here. Stop slagging something off coz it's new/different and have a proper discussion about pros and cons for once! The weight difference is obviously taken into account in the 0-60 times :roll:

And like VR6 said, £15k compared to £23-odd(probably equivalent of more in todays money) - that's not much of a difference in performance for £10k is it.

My point was how things are moving on (e.g. a modern 2.0 16v having similar performance to a 10 year old supercharged motor), not that the FSI is any better than the G60, chill.

So what 0-60 times have we go here then? Those figures came from the corrado forum knowledge base, so someone needs to change them if they're wrong :p

I'm aware of the torque difference but it doesn't look that great from here. Stop slagging something off coz it's new/different and have a proper discussion about pros and cons for once! The weight difference is obviously taken into account in the 0-60 times :roll:

And like VR6 said, £15k compared to £23-odd(probably equivalent of more in todays money) - that's not much of a difference in performance for £10k is it.

My point was how things are moving on (e.g. a modern 2.0 16v having similar performance to a 10 year old supercharged motor), not that the FSI is any better than the G60, chill.

i wasnt saying the fsi wasnt a good car it has lots of pros good fuel economy very safe and probably very reliable!

all were saying is you need to drive a g60 as the things we feel will set the g60 apart is when peak torque is reached the gearing 3rd 4th etc the power throught the rev range from the charger!

As im no engine buff its hard to use the right words to explain so hope i have also i havent seen a dyno plot for the 2.0 fsi but im sure this would show you what were trying to say about the differences between the fsi v's g60

andy

all were saying is you need to drive a g60 .......

I'm not having a go mate, I've been in a G60, I know how good they are - I haven't been in an FSI so I appreciate someone other than yahoo cars telling me what they're like :lol:

but the figures I based my original post on (G60 0-60 clearly now wrong) would suggest similar power from a new FSI without the complications of a charger.

Can't find anything on performance upgrades (exc. 9bhp from a superchip :roll:) so i guess the engines are at the limit as is - or are they the same as the TFSI sans turbo?

you could do more than superchip but depends how much money you want to spend e.g cam, head work, flowed manifold, induction kit, i think miltek make a sports cat exhaust for the 2.0 fsi!

It'd probably be a case of flattening out the torque/increasing low rpm torque for me as most of my driving is dual carriageways (40, 50) and motorway cruising at low/medium revs.

what mods affect torque most?