Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

Wheel bearing noise

As I mentioned in another thread, I think my wheels bearings are knackered due to mis-fitting (by me). However I noticed today when driving that if I corner fairly hard on a left hander, the noise goes away, but it doesn't on a right hander....what does this mean? Am I likely to be right with my diagnosis of wheel bearing....a droning noise that increases in pitch with road speed, but not linked to engine speed? Don't want to replace them only to find out it's somtething else. :?

Classic bearing symptom. Changed a rear only to have it go again very quickly due insufficient grease. :oops: .......and a cr%p bearing to start with.......

Front bearings usually sound whooo whooow whooo. My front pass is wobbling :D well bad new hubs going on this week.

Rears grind you hear it and yer heart sinks.

Always under load as you corner say left. It unloads the opposite side = no noise.

Can't see how you'd successfully change fronts yourself unless you have the proper pressing equipment. If you've done it any other way then I'd guess they aren't in true and may account for what sounds like their failure.

what is the correct torque setting for the rear wheel bearing nut please?

Classic bearing symptom. .......

Definately, classic rear bearing symptom, mine did exactly this.