Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

Fixed my sunroof !!!!

We ive finally got round to sorting my sunroof out.

Mine would tilt but wouldnt slide properly unless i used the crank handle.

I stripped it down and the cable's were intact but i suspect there was too much drag for the motor to overcome and i would just get the click click.

Anyway cleaned all the old grease out using a steam cleaner and i replaced the left hand rocker arm and the part that it mount's to as i suspect that this was worn as the rocker arm seemed to colide with the mechanism when i tried to slide it back.

After that rebulit it using plenty of white spray grease and hey presto it works perfect :D .

It's really not that bad a job to do.I managed to get the roof out in about 30 min's.

I also found that my motor was a bit tired so i got a bosch motor out of a vw sharran.The only thing with the bosch motor is that it doesnt slide fully back possibly a slightly different design, but it's something that can be lived with.

Well chuffed that's one more job done..

you dont realise how dirty it is til you get it out in the light , i used vanish powershot on mine , came up a treat :-)

Is that fully open?

If so i can see why mine doesnt go all the way back with the bosch motor fitted..

Looks excellent.

i would have put a passat one in mine but i couldnt get hold of one.

Nice one! Mine plum refuses to slide with the motor, despite being rebuilt god knows how many times.... I just use the crank for sliding now :-)

I'm going to rebuild one for my cousin's C next i'll let you know how i go on.

I have found that the part which the rocker arm mount's onto on the left handside seem's to wear and this causes the rocker arm to be missaligned when sliding back.

Also found that the little wheel on the rocker arm's were badly worn also possibly causing more drag.

Hope this help's anyone that's having problems.

Cheers Jason

weldone jason, maybe you should try and find a scrap yard suplier of the passat ones and fit them for a price, could be a new business venture?