Sign in to follow this  
matth76

JOM coilover and spring/shock kits - anyone used them?

Hi

I've seen this link for JOM coilovers which I've been told have Koni dampers (although for some reason it doesn't say this in the first link for the coilovers) but the price looks good:

http://www.dpmautostyling.co.uk/catalog ... cts_id=712

Here's a link about the JOM spring/shock kits which does say they use Koni fixed rate dampers.

http://www.dpmautostyling.co.uk/catalog ... 20a&page=2

The price is very similar to a GMAX which seems very good but the fact they use Koni caught my attention,and also have a kit that drops the car 45mm which is by far the biggest drop I've seen available for any spring/shock set up for the Golf VR6. One thing that confuses me is that there seem to be kits available for other cars like the older VR6 and basic models of the mark3 golf with a drop of 60mm. But there are no 60mm kits for the later model VR6. Why is this? Is this something to do with the VR6 anti-roll bars or anti-lock braking system?

Has anyone used them or know about them? Are they good or bad?

Thanks

Matt

Eibach do -60mm springs but they're a bit on the hard side.

What are your main objectives with suspension? A drop with no increase in harshness or a drop and refinement not an issue, just getting rid of arch gaps?

Anything Koni based is on the right track, but the springs might not be particularly good.

The FK konigsports are good kits and koni based, which can be had for about £470ish.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I only use my car to commute to work and occasionally use at the weekend. So don't want to get something too expensive which would be very good for the track but pointless for a daily driver. However on the other side I will spend what is necessary to improve the handling and also lower the look of the car. I personally think 30 or 35mm drop will be hardly noticable. The golf vr6 on standard suspension is way too high for my liking. (I have standard 15" wheels by the way.) That's why I like the sound of the JOM's 45mm drop springs (a decent drop) and with the confidence that the quality of the dampers is good with them being koni. So all in all I'm after improved looks (I want it to actually look lower) and definitely improve the handling. I want a firmer ride, less body roll but not one that is too bumpy that I feel every stone. I also want a kit that will last. Hard combo to get right I know..

Thanks for any help.

Have there been any bad experiences with JOM products or are they generally very good?

What you need is some H&R coilovers in your life, they're the absolute danglies......only snag is you need £750 to enjoy such goodness.

OK, I got mine for £450 s/hand with 6000 miles use, but they're the best coils I've ever tried. FK konigs a close second.

Be wary of cheap kits. They're cheap for a reason. Mine is also a daily car and ride comfort was number 1 priority and the H&Rs are perfect. Forgiving on 95% of surfaces whilst still dropping the car to decent ride heights.

You think the Golf looks high, check out a Storm or late Rado VR6's standard ride height! You can sail a supertanker under there and not touch the chassis....

i would also be considering the KW range if we are talking about awesome coilovers too.. :lol:

kev - we can supply H&R's for £720 inc to corrado forum members :lol:

Hmm.......might have one of those from you in a couple of months then g-man. Will look the details up...

pretty fekin cheap on those links.

is that with VAT or without mate??

Not sure mate. I think you have to add postage to it..

Would like H&R colies but don't want to spend too much... just spent out loads on the dreaded timing chains etc! Getting a rolling road and BMC at Stealth in 3 weeks time so yet more money to spend.

Next on the list is the suspension then I think I'll be sorted for a while... as I'm looking to buy a house/flat this year.