Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

[MY NEW!] 6 speed box - pics p6

I know a ton of conversions have taken place on here, just wondered if anyone had successfully fitted the 6 speed box from a newer Golf into a C - and how much jiggery pokery it entails.

I may be doing a motor transplant but would love to go 6 speed too, just not sure about how much hassle the mounts/driveshafts would be as I wanted to keep corrado hubs/steering etc.

Most of the 6spd transmissions around for 4 cyl engines are O2M code ones which are a bit of an arse to fit. You will need to make custom mounts and mod the subframe then get some custom driveshafts made. Not sure what engine you are planning but ifs it a 4 cyl and you really want a 6 spd then keep your eyes open for a 6spd 02J code from a mk5 golf as it will be a direct replacement for the 02A corrado box.

6 speed 02J on a mk5?!??!? that's a new one! more info please!

Yup, 'tis true. Will try and find which model. Probably hard to find now as so many people are speccing DSG boxes.

so that would make is like a vw motorsport 6 speed, like mine, which was bloody expensive!! I'll keep my eyes open for one of those then!

are you sure it's not an 02M????

the o2J looks just like an 02J but with a different shifter tower arrangement and some patterning on top of the box.

Gearbox code is usually on the diff casing behind one of the output flanges. I'm trying to find out what mk5 the 6spd is from on ETOS. Not 100% that it is an 02J code but its certainly not an 02M and will bolt straight up.

Yup, thats a transmission case from a GLB code box from a 2.0 FSI. Pretty sure this is the one that you want. Make sure you get the lever and cables as well.

Right so to clarify, if you want a six speed box that is a direct replacement for any corrado gearbox you need to source a gearbox with a code of GLB?

These are fitted to Audi A3s from 5/03 to 8/03 and Golfs from 5/04 to 5/04 BTW.

Anyone know what the cruise ratio is in 6th for these?

Right so to clarify, if you want a six speed box that is a direct replacement for any corrado gearbox you need to source a gearbox with a code of GLB?

These are fitted to Audi A3s from 5/03 to 8/03 and Golfs from 5/04 to 5/04 BTW.

Anyone know what the cruise ratio is in 6th for these?

Think so, dont take it as gospel though!. Maybe saysomestuff can take some pics so we can see if the bracket mounts etc are in the right positions.

Well if it is it will be a darn sight cheaper if whoever wants one can source one from somewhere than the £1800 you would be looking at to buy the quaife conversion kit!

Lets have those pics please Cole!!

Hey guys, I was under the impression that the 02M is remarkably different to a Corrado box.

Didn't take any phone pics of the GT box (coz I'm a fool) but seriously, it looks identical to the box that's in my C

I'll try and get some pics this week (can't find camera charger :mad:)

EDIT -- hang on, were they only fitted to Golfs in may 04?

If you can, measure the output flange diameter, i'm guessing that they are 110mm the same as the late 02J boxes are. In which case you will need to swap them for the 100mm ones from a beetle. I've got the part number around somewhere for them i'll dig it out. Only other mod to fit is you need to remove a couple of brackets in the tunnel to fit the shift lever as its bigger and fits slightly different to the O2A lever. It has a much nicer feel to the 02A and not such a stupidly long throw either.

Cool I'll have a look. I was planning on going G60 for driveshafts/hubs - they'll go straight in won't they? Or is that why I'll need the 100mm output flange?

Also, Yan - i read on vortex that the GT'll do 60 in 6th @ 1800RPM if that's any indication, mind you it's a pretty torquey motor