Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Aircon Location? - MORE PICS!

Now, my C has aircon buttons in the dash, and davia??? fuses under the bonnet. It doesnt work at present, which isn't suprising as the guy I bought it off didn't know what the norm and max buttons did!

On my GTI-6 I had a condensor in front of the radiator, I can't see one on the C? Where is the aircon located under the bonnet? What exactly am I looking for on the Corrado.

I just want to confirm the bits are still there as at some point in its life its hand a front end wang and I'm wondering if they didn't put everything back in!

There should be a condensor infront of the rad. There will be a compressor down the front of the engine at the bottom. There should be a drier (black 3" cylinder thingy) usually over to the passenger side of the engine bay.

There will also be two big black pipes going into the firewall down under the ABS unit.

Jay

It looks like probably do have aircon - In pic 7 you've got the double-sided belt (grooves on the top as well as bottom), which would imply the compressor is down there somewhere. You can't really see from those pictures you've taken though. Some more pics of anything around there with the belt going around it will help identify it. The AC compressor is directly below the alternator (the bit you can see in the pic is the alternator and there's definitely something below it that could be the AC compressor) - see this pic from the wiki of where the belt goes.

The other semi-obvious component to look for is the extra radiator for the AC and the pipework running to it. A pic of your whole engine bay should make it fairly obvious if the extra pipework for AC is floating about in there.

It seems mighty odd that you'd have all the dash buttons, wiring, fuses and relays and double-sided belt without the rest of it...

The Diavia aircon thread has a few pics of the misc bits you're looking for.

Another thing you can do to test if it's potentially working is to start the engine and let it idle. Press the MAX button and see if you hear then engine change pitch. If the compressor is engaging then the engine should slow down a bit under the extra load put on it.

It def doesn't work. I've tried the engine idling thing and nothing happens, but from previous cars I know that could be just a regas thing.

I'll try for more ( my poor camera ) pics in the location you suggest. Pic 1 is of the radiator, any sign of the condensor from that? I can't seem to tell from looking. I assume its like having another radiator infront of the main one?

Apparently I do have aircon, my mech had a quick look under the bonnet.

Now I just have to figure out why it doesn't work!

yeah i was going to say you have air con, in this pic you can clearly see the pully for the compressor (circled)

pic7.jpg

yeah i was going to say you have air con, in this pic you can clearly see the pully for the compressor (circled)

pic7.jpg

Yup, that's the bit I was talking about :lol: