Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

G60 overheating and dumping coolant

Stange things are going on with my Dad's G60. Its in storage at the moment but I went and started it this afternoon (eventually) and gave a wee run up and down a farm track. When I turned it off, the coolant started pi$$ing out of the expansion tank through the top.

Its like it was over pressurised and the cap has hit max pressure and dumped the extra pressure.

I have no idea whats wrong with, it was only running about 10-15 mins. All the coolant hoses were warm so cant be a blocked thermostat. I wonder if there is something wrong with the water pump, although I took the expansion cap off when it was running and the coolant was circulating fine. I just wonder if there is an air lock somewhere in the system.

Its very confusing, please help.

T.

Mine did that and i flushed it through with a garden hose and refilled it at the radiator and its been perfect ever since.

Has it been topped up recently? Doing that can introduce an airpocket into the system.

Mine did that and i flushed it through with a garden hose and refilled it at the radiator and its been perfect ever since.

Has it been topped up recently? Doing that can introduce an airpocket into the system.

It has done this before, I suspect its an air pocket from what you are saying as it was topped up last time.

Next time I fill it up I shall do it from the top hose on the radiator.

Cheers

T.

also did you happen to check to see if the bottom hose got warm ? could we worth investagating the thermostat also.

also did you happen to check to see if the bottom hose got warm ? could we worth investagating the thermostat also.

Yes it was warm.

Change the cap...

Do you reckon the cap is failing too quickly?

The water temp guage has never work well so I have no idea if it is actually overheating or what temp its getting up to.

T.

after a coolant flush, engine should be run without expansion cap until the stat has opened, this will remove any airlocks.

Do you reckon the cap is failing too quickly?

The water temp guage has never work well so I have no idea if it is actually overheating or what temp its getting up to.

T.

Def change the cap..Also the gauge. Could be the sender or the actual gauge. I took my clocks out and the gauge needle had popped off the expansion rod inside. Makes me wonder about the car. In the service history there were twp previous head jobs. Just gaskets. Maybe the car had overheated so bad it popped the needle!! I blew the head gasket again. The coolent was being dumped into the down pipe!! Washed out no 4 pot. All other pistons were as they should be but 4 was shiny clean. Warped the head also. Had it skimmed and new cap fine since.

Checked the gauge to make sure the needle hadn't popped off ages ago. It was fine. Also swapped senders about which made no difference. They were changed for new ones too.

T.

Check the rubber sealing ring in the cap I had this problem once upon a time and it turned out to be the sealing ring had got kinked and wasn't sealing, causing the water to boil over whenever it got upto temp!

FIXED........ I hope.

New cap. Topped up coolant through radiator top hose. Seems fine.

Forgot about the joys of the G60.........

T.