Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Complete Suspension and Steering Overhall !!!

alright peeps,

First off i do know and have used the SEARCH !!

Basically i want my valver handling and steering like when it came out the box so if someone could do me a list starting with all the wearable parts which generally need to be replaced so i can get it ticked off. As i doubt anythings been changed and as its 16 years old im pretty sure everything needs to replaced. I do not want to fit any aftermarket lowering kits or anything like that (as my brain is spinning after reading all the other posts!!), i just want it to be like it should. Also if there are any parts that are better / cheaper than VW ones let me know ! Say for example that £130 bush kit from Venom?

I know all things have been covered before but a nice easy to understand list would be great

cheers

Brett

Just about to do this on mine hopefully - so far it'll be new wishbones and all the bushes at the front (OE), and new OE bushes at the back, but I'd be interested to know what other things people recommend... :)

This would be a good one for the knowledge base. First thing a lot of people want to do when they join the forum is lower there newly acquired 4x4 and / or swap out all of the other related components still on from when it was new.

A couple of others to add to the list:

Bumpstops, Top mounts.

It just so happens I'm rebuilding a mk2 golf at the moment in preparation of an s3 engine install.

I'll post up some pics (with the car owners permission) as I'm refurbishing all the parts so you can see what's involded.

The phrase "better than new" springs to mind,

Just doing mine today,word of warning BRETTLOVEDAY,get your self some new brake hoses flexi and fixed as mine where seized solid and had to be cut off before i could remove rear axle to fit new bushes(polysport)http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=533_741_761&products_id=5127 this will also make the job far easyer when you come to refit the axle as everything is all new. If youve got access to a brake line flaring kit make yourself some new brake lines for the rear axle while it is off,I bought some brake line (40p per foot)and new fittings (12p each)from a local motor factors.Good luck,very satisfying to know you have done it all yourself and saved a bundle in the process.

Right i have done exactly this when I did my transplant and rebuilt my car.

I will try and remember everything but I am sure I will forget some of the stuff I did. This purely for the suspension and I will not include brake stuff or engine mounts although i did all that too.

Front End:

Your choice of shocks and springs or coilovers....

Powerflex Front Crossmember bushes

Powerflex wishbone bushes front and rear

OE bottom balljoints

OE Track rods

OE Track rod ends

New Steering rack (big debate at the mo with this)

Powerflex steering rack bush

VR6 top mounts and bearings

OE wheel bearings

Check the column and UJ's for slack...

Rear

Your choice of shocks and springs or coilovers...

OE rear beam bushes

OE rear top mounts

OE rear wheel bearings

Thats your basic rebuild on the suspension.

Jay

Same here, although I'm taking the Powerflex cross member bushes out and putting standards back in because those + VT competition and VT road engine mounts is slightly too much. Causes a slight jolt through the car when the engine starts up from cold and clutch take up is a little aggressive.

Forget the venom kits.

As Jay says, use OE parts for most/all things, polybushes are good for wishbone/crossmemember & steering rack mounts, please don't use poly bushes on the rear axle, it spoils the handling!

hahaha, going to re-visit this argument npw - heard it doesn't spoil the handling on a lowered car? ;)

hahaha, going to re-visit this argument npw - heard it doesn't spoil the handling on a lowered car? ;)

:) once had a go in C 16v that has rear polybushes, it just felt weird to me (I've always had vw's with the passive rear steer) the car felt less nimble, and twitchy, just my opinion though!