Sign in to follow this  
Blown

ARP Head bolts

So now that I've decided to get my arse in gear and do something with my G60(cos it's been stood in the parents garage,neglected, with the bonnet up for around 5 months now) the likliehood of having to remove the head is cropping up.

If I do,I'd want to replace the headbolts with ARP ones but I've heard about different opinions on them.

Any good,or not?

from what i know, you can't get better and i've had 3 supercharged corado vr's with nitrous bolted together with them :) 8)

....need any more convincing? ;)

Fitted my ARP bolts no problems to my 16v G60 build but can't comment on anything else as the engine is still in bits!

Apperantly they dont stretch like vws 1s so arent a good idea? Only what ive read

????thats the whole point. You can reuse them and change the torque setting dependant on your set-up. Never been a fan of stretch bolts and this ".......torque to x lb fts and then 90deg and another 90DEG......." Can never find a bloody protractor when I'm doing a head :roll: :?

I've had mine on std setups, charged setups and currently charged with a spacer gasket without any probs feel a lot more comfortable with them than stretch bolts

Apperantly they dont stretch like vws 1s so arent a good idea? Only what ive read

????thats the whole point. You can reuse them and change the torque setting dependant on your set-up. Never been a fan of stretch bolts and this ".......torque to x lb fts and then 90deg and another 90DEG......." Can never find a bloody protractor when I'm doing a head :roll: :?

I've had mine on std setups, charged setups and currently charged with a spacer gasket without any probs feel a lot more comfortable with them than stretch bolts

just a quick question, would there not be a risk of treading the block if you happen to put to much torque through the bolt

just a quick question, would there not be a risk of treading the block if you happen to put to much torque through the bolt

yes.

isn't there a chance of killing yourself if you crash into a brick wall at 100mph?

the answer is both is yes but why would you want to do either?

If the engine is fairly standard just stick to standard bolts, they work fine. U should only need ARP head bolts/studs in extremes. Metal head gaskets require stretch bolts as they need a slight amount of 'give' so to speak. Even if you upgrade to a Cometic gasket only stock bolts should be used. Save your money for other things :)

yes.

isn't there a chance of killing yourself if you crash into a brick wall at 100mph?

the answer is both is yes but why would you want to do either?

:p:p:p i was only asking :lol: :lol:

sorry - forgot the smilies 8) ;)

Anyways - if you're just doing a head - probably just as well with std - i'm always pulling engines apart so got arp's - a nice "to have" or necessity if fcukin around with the vr6 - don't really see why you wouldn't use them if you had them, as in, why you would have heard bad about them. Only reason i wouldn't use them is to save money.

I'm off to hit a brick wall now then.......

sorry - forgot the smilies 8) ;)

Anyways - if you're just doing a head - probably just as well with std - i'm always pulling engines apart so got arp's - a nice "to have" or necessity if fcukin around with the vr6 - don't really see why you wouldn't use them if you had them, as in, why you would have heard bad about them. Only reason i wouldn't use them is to save money.

I'm off to hit a brick wall now then.......

:lol: :lol: :brickwall:

cheers for that