Sign in to follow this  
outlandish5

G60 Downpipe Removal

I've managed to undo all 6 nuts to detach the downpipe from the manifold without removing anything, but how the hell do you get the downpipe out of the car completely. It doesn't seem to want to squeeze through between the subframe & bulkhead, and it cant go upwards.

Whats the trick then?

so - reattach the downpipe to the exhaust manifold and keep disconnected to the cat bypass, take off the inlet manifold and other surrounding bits, undo bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head, lift both the manifold and the downpipe out (up and over the head) together.

change downpipe and fit new bolts/gaskets as necessary. reverse process.

you wont get it out underneath as theres not enough room between the bulkhead and subframe.

Hope that helps matey :)

Sounds like a lot of work that way. If you can support the engine drop the subframe leaving it attached to the ball joints then pull out in the wider gap.

Thats attached to the engine normally ;)

The best thing to do is borrow a support cradle that sits above the engine and on the gutters where the wing bolts are. Otherwise being a bit clever with the trolley jack should sort it. (though ideally you need a second to support the subframe weight.

Hmmmm, so more needs removed then. Oh joy.

I might look down the route of removing the inlet manifold because I was thinking of polishing it all anyway, so I suppose here's the excuse. Will be easier to get the downpipe bolted back on too.

Hmmmm, so more needs removed then. Oh joy.

I might look down the route of removing the inlet manifold because I was thinking of polishing it all anyway, so I suppose here's the excuse. Will be easier to get the downpipe bolted back on too.

If you decide to go down this route remove the front engine mount then support engine with a jack and lower slightly to allow the front of the engine to come foward - this will make lots of room at the back to allow easy removal.

Darren