Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

mpg on a golf vr6?

Ok so the rado has gone, I was about to buy a nice sensible family car with good fuel economy but I've spotted a mk3 vr6 in the local paper. It doesn't make up for the loss of my g60 but its better than a suburban car. Can anyone tell me the average mpg for one of these (realistic, not what vag quotes), surely its better than the g60.

Hardly economical but it does beat my g60. The advert just says 116,000 miles, tax, test and 4 good tyres £1800. What should I be looking for for that kind of money?

I average 27mpg. Thats driving to work slow/stop start town driving. But on a usual run its around 29mpg and has been as high as 35mpg :shock: .

My mate's girlfriend does mostly town driving in his '96 Golf VR6 and it rarely tops 20mpg. It's obviously better on a run, but only gets to around 27mpg max. It runs perfectly and doesn't even get driven that hard.

I considered buying it myself until I learned about the (lack of) fuel economy!

My mate's 2.0 focus does 21-22 mpg max around town. Urban driving will never return good mpgs on anything but a diesel or a tiny, little engined car.

The VR is an old, big engine with an old management system so it's never going to win any economy awards.

my golf vr is much thirstier than the rado vr.

the goluf returned about 24 averge. maybe 23. and thats with loads of long journeys too!

I've heard that said before but I don't see why really - similar engine, similar weight. What makes the Golf more partial to a drop of unleaded than the Corrado?

I've heard that said before but I don't see why really - similar engine, similar weight. What makes the Golf more partial to a drop of unleaded than the Corrado?

Less streamlined? Isn't the corrado vr lighter than the golf vr?

I don't do short runs, but I've just been to Kendal & back this week (motorway all the way) and my Golf VR6 drank 20 gallons of optimax in the 550 mile round-trip. Mind, I did get there in 2hours 47mins & come back only a bit slower!

MAFs might lie mate but empty petrol tanks don't!

I know for sure mine averaged about 24 exactly as the MAF said - if not it was leaking onto the road somewhere.

Not sure why golf vr6s are worse than rados, but i've heard a few people say the same :)

Not sure why golf vr6s are worse than rados, but i've heard a few people say the same :)

I've had alsorts of VR6 shite in the pass two years, and got to say golf's are the worst {IMO}

When you say you were averaging 24 mpg - what sort of driving were you doing?

For reference my C VR6 does about 22 mpg if I use it for the 2 mile journey to work (so it's running cold), or about 34 on long mixed journeys. I've managed 42 mpg taking it really easy in 5th across town at 30mph -ish.

When you say you were averaging 24 mpg - what sort of driving were you doing?

For reference my C VR6 does about 22 mpg if I use it for the 2 mile journey to work (so it's running cold), or about 34 on long mixed journeys. I've managed 42 mpg taking it really easy in 5th across town at 30mph -ish.

i clearly have a far heavier right foot than you then mate. but what do you mean you've managed 42mpg while taking it easy in 5th across town? thats not a journey. do you mean you reset your maf after you've started the journey??

i would have to drive like the pope to get those sort of figures. and thats just not me i'm afraid. i bought my vr to rag. plain and simple. thats why i went for a 2.9

:)

edit: a typical journey (to the office):

4 miles in town/40 mph limit.

60 miles on the motorway.

28 mpg.

I find it hard to believe that anybody worried about fuel ecomomy would be considering a VR6 of any type. I think it's one of those cars that you fill up when it runs out without thinking about it. It's all relative too - I only average about 30mpg in my 1.8 16v on account of its prehistoric CIS fuel injection. So, with a Golf VR6 you essentially get 40bhp for free.

My W reg V5 (2.3) G*lf gives about 23 mpg round town, so I'd expect a VR6 to "squeeze out" :roll: about 20 mpg.

When I get the chance for it to have a good run I assume/hope I will get closer to 30 mpg at a steady 90 :norty:

On the Welsh roads around where I live my G60 was averaging 19mpg overall. It was better on a long run obviouslly, but I never saw over 25mpg, part of the reason she had to go. I know nobody buys a vr for economy but I needed to know that I wasn't going to be spending even more on fuel than I was with the G60.

I don't want one now anyway, damn I hate being so fickle.

Donkeys years ago, I bought a brand spanking new Golf Vr6, one of the last Dragon green R reg, as I missed out on buying a new corrado. (had sold my first Vr6 Rado abt 18mts previous) I was Sooooo gutted. It was a horriable drive. IMHO. slow, sluggish and soooooo thirsty. I ave abt 24mpg with a mix of driving. The worst I have ever ave from a corrado Vr6 was 29mpg, but would typ be circa 31mpg.