Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Bora 4motion Dilema

Picked up the 4motion yesterday, drove it for about half an hour down the motorway then had to leave to go to the rugby, leaving the beast behind.

Today has been the real test of it. First comments are, its doesn't feel like its going that hard cos the engine is sooo quiet and smooth. But, you look down at the speedo or the face of your passenger and think.....bloody hell I need to slow down here.

The engine is very different to the corrado. Loads of low down torque. If you blow on the accellerator its off like a bullet. Its quite difficult to drive around slowly and smoothly. It just wants to go all the time.

Haven't even touch on the handling. Oh my god......without swearing its sublime. So much grip. Taking corners at speeds I would have never dreamed of. You can just sink the throttle going round corners and it just laps them up.

Wheel spin.....whats that?? Cos it dont have any. Waiting for a nice rainy day now so I can have some real fun.

Its a real nice ride too.

And then comes fuel econemy. There's always a price to pay for fun. I dont think it will be any worse than the Corrado. I drove about in that for about 2 years solid so I think my wallet can handle the pace, especially as I make much more money now and I've just had a rather nice pay rise.

Well I'm chuffed to bits and recommend some 4motion action to you all.

Simon

Nice 1 mate, always liked Boras and the good prices they go for!

Any plans for it?

ps, got your door ok on Fri,was speaking to your old man, glad too see the corrados run in the family!

Not at the minute. Need to calm myself down for a while and then make some sensible decisions.

I got the bora for silly money. Much less than equivalent golf's and much less common. Plus, it has a bit of a stealth factor to it. Already seen a few shocked faces and a red bora barrels past them at a vast rate of knots.

P.S. Hope the door is of use.

Well I think I've killed it.

Engine management light and Traction Control System lights are staying on permanently. I knew my heavy foot would be the undoing of it!

Gutted.....

Booked into VW next Monday due to the usual "Oh, we're really busy, blah, blah, blah" I just run around in my broken car for a week then. Good excuse to use the Corrado me thinks.

T.

Addition

Exhaust emissions warning light is on too now.

Its like a little disco on my dash.

3 warning lights so far....... wondering if I can get any more.

no I dont, but I wish I had.

:(

Its got a 30 day warranty from the garage I bought it from so they'll be getting the bill no matter what.

Would an O2 sensor cause all those lights to come on?

Refuses to idle when start and dies after a few seconds.

Not sure mate, I don't know much about the 24V's management....but anything emissions related means the engine is in a grump because it's running too rich! I bet it's probably fine at the top end, just not that happy at slow speeds? The 24V has pre and post cat O2 measuring...chances are the post cat 02 is having a moan.

Good news people.

Car has been fixed. New Mass ait flow sensor and a new air inlet temperature sensor and all the errors have gone.

Picking it up tomorrow.

Cant wait to get it back. Although I have really enjoyed using the VR so much. I sometimes forget what a fantastic car it is and some times I think the un thinkable and wonder whether to sell it. Fortunately, I could never do that.

Happy days.

Simon

24V Renshaw, Was you corrado a vr6 originally?

How do you find the 24v top end? I find it seems to run out of steam were as the 12v vr goes like stink when it gets to the high revs.

Although it'll be interesting to get the car back to see if it feels any better than before it broke.

T.

:oops:

whoops, didn't know what reg it was....................have now looked in his sig pictures!

T.

To me it seems to pull forever. Stupid amounts of low end torque and then just keeps on pulling.

Yeah it was a G60 before, but now its a MK4 golf in a Rado body :)

Jay

How do you find the 24v top end? I find it seems to run out of steam were as the 12v vr goes like stink when it gets to the high revs.

I was beginning to think I was alone in thinking that!

I was beginning to think I was alone in thinking that!

Nope, I'm with you on this.

I've heard someone else claiming the same. I believe its due to the variable inlet manifold.

It does have silly amounts of low end torque though!!

T.

I should imagine as it has all the low end grunt there is not the big increase like a 12v, so it feels less at the top end, but the figures suggest otherwise... :)

Jay

Very true and probably a valid point.

Its great when the VR6 rado comes 'on cam'

Goes like a rocket. I need to get someone to drive the bora and race the rado and bora to answer that all important question.

T.

24V Renshaw,

Jay, have you got an uprated dog bone engine mount?

Just fitted a powerflex one and I'm well impressed with the difference. Before, the engine looked like it was trying to jump out the engine bay when you revved it!

T.

Mine is on VR6 mounts, solid front mount and brand new OE rears. It definately doesn't move about (as proved on Stealths rollers where it sat dead still!)

Jay