Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Lowering Revs at motorway speed

I guess it all depends on a number of factors....

What road, and tyres etc..... Plus what you've done to the engine. At somepoint in the rev range most engines will be loud. I had a MK IV Goof that was very noisy as it hit 60 and then was quiet as a mouse with sneakers on past 70 (on a track of course ;) )

My g60 sits at 2500 revs when doing 80mph, can anyone suggest why that is?

As far as I know the gearbox is standard

Anyone? :(

unlesss the box has been swapped over for a tdi box, checked the box codes. also perhaps the gearbox speed sensor is wrong for different?

Guys, don't forget that wheel and tyre combinations will also effect final drive ratios. ;) If you're running standard 15" wheels with standard spec tyres, at 80mph your engine will be revving slightly higher than if your car has a set of aftermarket 17" wheels with non-standard tyre widths as the rolling radius will be slightly larger on the larger wheels... ;)

Also, there are a couple of different final drive ratios which were used in G60 boxes over the production run...

5th gear CAN be changed without taking the gearbox out pretty easily (this is one of the next jobs on my list...)

Engine modifications CAN NOT alter gear ratios or what speed you do at what revs in which gear. The engine's crankshaft is STILL directly connected to the clutch and therefore the gearbox no matter what you do to the rest of the engine, so 1 revolution of the crankshaft will still turn the gearbox input shaft 1 revolution... ;)

Good to have you back Mr Hen the hennish henman

My car has got 17's on, but surly that wouldn't be enough to make it sit at 2.5k revs @80mph or there'd be others on here with g60's the same.

I can only assume that the 5th gear has been changed. Is there an easy way to tell ?

take the end off the gearbox and count the teeth on the 5th gear cog... :|

Is your speedo accurate? They do vary a lot you know... ;)

Yeah, but again , I wouldn;t expect it to make that much difference ( and yeah , it feels like 80mph too! :lol: )

I aint taking my gearbox apart! i'd never get it back together again :oops: :wink:

I'll see what jezzag60 thinks, i'm taking it to him tomorrow for a few things so i'll let him have a rip in it to see what he thinks!

Walesy it would be worth checking the gearbox code as the original may have been swaped for a unit with a different set of ratios.

Golf and Corrado VR6 have the same gearing.

In the USA the VR6 Corrado and VR6 Golf/Jetta have different Ring and pinions. 1st -5th are the same but the Final drive for the corrado is 3.6 where as the Golf and jetta VR6's final drive is 3.3

Is it possible you might have different (ie non-G60) clocks in your Rado mate? They could have been changed over at some point in its past...

Is it possible you might have different (ie non-G60) clocks in your Rado mate? They could have been changed over at some point in its past...

Should be easy to spot as the redline will be at 8k instead of 7k if its 16v ones.