Sign in to follow this  
2cc

A Bad Weekend

Can't believe that I have 2Cs and they are both off the road at the same time.

Put the 16v in for mot & a cam belt (yeah I know but I couldn't be bothered to do it myself). Went to fetch it before setting off to Weymouth only to discover that 'one of the pulleys came apart in our 'ands gov'. None in stock & the computer down so we'll give you a call back later next week. :( Mind you they were impressed by how shiny it is :D

Undeterred, scrounged a lift back home, kicked the tires and lit the fires on the VR and roared off. Nearly there then thought why my temp light flashing, I wasn't going THAT fast. Watch temps like proverbial hawk and all seems to be ok for quite a while but then start that worrying climb. Have shufti under bonnet - what is all that steam issuing from under the engine top cover :shock: please not my head gasket. Header tank level is nowhere in sight and no garages in vicinity. Gently on, worrying, till I find one.

Rather careful getting the cap off then getting lots of h2o in to cool it down some before looking for the problem. Heater hose from the back of the head has a hole & spraying onto the head - relief, except that all my coolant is now spread over half of Dorset. Emergency insulating tape to the rescue. Had to keep making pit stops but got there and back - eventually.

Checked it out on Sunday and all looks to have survived, oil & water uncontaminated, running fine, but parked up till I can get the bits to fix her.

There seems to be a hose virus out there at the moment.

Sorry to hear that Chris! It'd only happen to a Corrado owner that both of his well maintained cars are off the road at the same time!!

Hope they get sorted soon mate :)

You're right about the hose virus - that's the same hose that went on mine a couple of months back by the sound of it. I'm still paranoid about the coolant system - I leave the oil temp display on the MFA permanently now!

Let me guess - the hole in the hose was right down near the joint to the head? A split in the side? Can you spell d-e-s-i-g-n f-l-a-w?? :(

Thank you VW!!

Yep, exactly right. Actually I always have the mfa oil temp on till up to temp, then either stay with that or amuse myself with the mpg :)

I'll wager squidgy engine mounts is the primary cause of failing VR6 hoses! It certainly was on the MK2 Golf. A good afternoon's thrape was enough to see the rad top hose part company with the radiator. VW, tsk.

VW are also tight with hose lengths and wiring loom lengths so they tend to suffer fatigue from the constant rocking. A few pence invested in longer cables and hoses would certainly aleviate the problem. Tight arses.

I have a good prod of the hoses every so often when hot to make sure they're not balooning or on the verge of splitting. If Samcos weren't so expensive.....

Kev

The 16V is used for staving off the bank manager on long motorway runs, I'll wager... ;)

Anyway - I'd considered the engine mount problems myself, and I *have* had the mounts inspected, and the conclusion was that they're not "shot". Of course, it's difficult to tell just how much movement there might be cos you can't really push it with the bonnet up, but I don't know of a "reliable" test otherwise. I certainly can't move the engine much by hand, but then, I can't apply 180lbft of torque about the crank by hand either...

Hi

You think you had a bad weekend!

My C had the back quarter panel scratched by someone when i parked on the road outside my girlfreinds house at some pont on friday evening- no dent but big scratch that has gone through the laquer and looks shite! :mad:

Saturday morning- had to go to work and was very tired. Whilst trying to park the c in the car park my foot slipped off the clutch and I put the front of the car into a brick wall- took alot of paint of i can tell you! :mad: lunchtime was spent crying on the bonnet flailing my arms around in the air shouting it's not fare! :x

Sunday afternoon- discovered that my back tyre was flat as a pancake as it had a great bit nail sticking in it! - This was the final straw :mad: - SO lets not complain about some silly water hose mate!!!!! My poor corrado!!!

"Some silly water hose" cost some poor bugger on this forum an entire new VR6 engine very recently!!

That's why I'm paranoid about the oil temp readout on the MFA..!! :?

Oh, by the way, some silly bugger smashed into my rear quarter about a year ago, taking the paint down to the metal, denting the wheel arch, and smashing up the corner of the bumper. So you're not alone on that one. :(

Of course they didn't leave their details, tossers. :evil:

"Some silly water hose" cost some poor bugger on this forum an entire new VR6 engine very recently!!

Try some silly £1.25 bolt that's never been touched that's just written off my engine and brand new flowed head... I just thank god that I was only doing 20MPH in third while sat in traffic when it sheared off... 10 mins later and I'd have been doing 70 (and the rest :wink: ) on the motorway on the way home!

I dread to think what damage that would have done... :shock:

I do feel for you all though, it's crap when stuff like that happens...

Well im a little anoyed now had the car 2 weeks and ive got my first big dent, last night my m8 in his drunken state decided it would be funny to jump on the bonnet of my car, aint tried pushing it out but dont think itll come out that easy, all i could think of was a £300 bill for a new bonnet when he dived on it, stupid prick.

Hi Beetlebug 2001

I think it's only fair that you return the favour to your mate. :p

Get a couple of Stella in you and do the same to his car- my advise would be to go for his rear quarte panel though as there much harde to repair! :twisted:

If he dpesnt drive then just try and shag his girl freind. :twisted:

Hi guys, V sorry to hear of your collective problems. Gringo, compared to your day mine pales into insignificance :)

At least you know where to go to get the money for repairs Beetlebug. I got the 16v back yesterday & she's right on song, had her since 92 and just love her (and the vr) too much to sell. It's kind of like a harem - you just have to share it out :lol:

You're right about the hose virus - that's the same hose that went on mine a couple of months back by the sound of it. I'm still paranoid about the coolant system - I leave the oil temp display on the MFA permanently now!

Let me guess - the hole in the hose was right down near the joint to the head? A split in the side? Can you spell d-e-s-i-g-n f-l-a-w?? :(

Thank you VW!!

The hose went on mine too - again, same place.... However......

I've slid an Mitsi EVO VII dump-valve silcone hose over the top of the T-hose and over the split.... Cost nothing (was in my mate's garage - and he got rid of the Evo years ago) and has held up for 8 months so far...