Sign in to follow this  
jimmy83

2.0 16v cold running?

I know, I used the search, but couldn't seem to find anything really. Basically I've got a '95 2.0 16 'rado which only runs on 3 cylinders when its cold. As soon as it's warmed up, it's fine. Any ideas? Only just got the car yesterday, love it to bits other than this problem!

The fifth injector only operates via a thermo-switch for a few seconds so it's unlikely to be the problem. The first thing to check is the ECU temperature switch, which supplies the ECU with the enrichment signal for cold running. If that checks out buy this book and become a 16v expert!

I can't believe the search turned up nothing. I've answered similar posts several times this month alone.

just been out to my car to have a look, i think its on the flywheel side of the head, near where the head meets the block?

I think it's white-ish - it's definitely not blue. The G60 and VR6 (and probably the 8v too) use the blue temperature senders. They're a resistive device with a negative temperature coefficient, rather than the simple temperature switch the 2.0 16v uses. There's a picture posted at least four times in other 16v running-problem threads that show you where all the 2.0 16v sensors are located. I'll leave it to you to find as homework :)

Right, time to dig this one up again. After trying many things to cure my cold running misfire, i will outline what I tried, and what the actuial cause was, as there seem to be a lot of 2.0 16v with similar problems.

Right, so firstly, the symptoms were:

1.When starting the engine from cold, the engine would start first time, but only run on 3 cylinders. This would continue until the oil temp read 80 deg on the MFA.

2. The car would not rev cleanly past 5,000 rpm, and seemed to hit a flat spot.

So, onto what I replaced in an attempt to cure it:

Spark plugs,

Dizzy, cap + rotor arm

Ecu,

Ignition leads,

coil,

lambda sensor,

water temp sender ( blue one on side of head)

injectors,

Fuel pump,

fuel filter,

I also stripped, cleaned and checked for any cracks etc the entire inlet system, i.e, manifold, all vacuum pipes, fuel lines.

Checked all engine bay wiring for damage etc...

Anyhoo, after all this, still no progress whatsoever.

At this point, I took the head off to see if it was something mechanical as opposed to fuel or electriacl causing the gremlins.

Really REALLY wish I'd tried this first........Once the head was off, I thought I may aswell strip it all down and give it a once over. When I came to put the valve spring compressor on one of the inlet valves on no.3 cylinder, lo and behold, the spring was broken! Luckily the two parts had stayed put, and not rattled around the head! SO promptly replaced duff spring, put nes tappets in, and hey presto, good as new.......No misfiring, and revs cleanly to the limiter now. Aren't corrado's fun!????!!