Sign in to follow this  
was8v

New to ICE - need advice on discrete sub box and amp

So I went from an ICE sceptic to where I am now...

I had a naff 4x45W Panasonic CD player, hooked up to some VIBE Sa-K50 85W rms components in original locations - tweeters in dash (and Alpine 6x4 in the back) and thought wow these speakers make a helluva difference to SQ - but the amp caused distrotion at "loud" volumes, I wanted it to be a bit louder!

now I've upgraded to a Pioneer DEH-P77MP headunit, thinking it would put out more volume being 4x50W and a much higher quality headunit.

However I'm a bit dissapointed. I suppose the next step is to amp the setup? and a small sub for a bit more bass.

Any recommendadtions for cheapish Amps and a sub enclosure like this audioscape one fro a Mk2 -

mk2%20golf%20sub%20box.jpg

Will this solve my audio worries or will I always be looking for more? am I correct in thinking the limitation (distortion at "loud" volumes) is caused by the Amp in the Pioneer headunit, so adding an amp will improve it - or is the limitation in my components?

audioscape do that one for a corrado too they are very good i have one in minethere was a GB a while back. i have velcro'd my amp to the carpet on the side of the boot

you've made a very good choice with the headunit, couldnt do better for the money.

Im in a similar position to you atm with my install. I've just bought a 12" PolkMOMO sub, and ill make a custom install for it, as i want everything along the back of the boot [need the room in the sides so the golf clubs fit!]

I'll be buying a decent amp, prob a pioneer or alpine mono, running at 350 rms to power the sub, and have bought a simple alpine 2 way [80w rms per channel] to power the front speakers. [pioneer comps atm, but will upgrade to Audioscape pods& Focals]

I'll be removing the rears completely, as theres no need for them. [Try setting your stereo to just play out of the rear speakers, turn it up and see what you make of the sound.]

I'm no ICE guru, but have a fair idea what i want to hear!

Maybe its just the bass at high volume that is causing my distortion?

If I run the option in the headunit to have an 80khz filter, it goes loud enough without distorting (but obviously without any bass).

So am thinking I may be happy enough just running the sub out from the headunit to a small amped sub, leaving the components and rears powered from the headunit.

Like I say, I'm no conoisseur of ICE, I just want it to keep sounding as good, but a little louder :?

Will this work:

4 channel amp, 2 channels powering front components using existing xovers

2 channels bridged to power 10" sub

Rear speakers run off headunit.

am thinking this is the best solution - where to put the amp though....

Will this work:

if you have access to a 4 channel amp, theres no point not running the rears off it too?! personally i would say as before, get rid of the rears. if you have them running of the headunit, when you up the volume they wont be ablel to keep up with the other speakers/sub and all you'll get from them is distortion.

If the 4 channel is decent enough, bridge 2 channels for the sub and use the other two for the comps.

Will this work:

That's what I run.... Alpine 9835R, Genesis Series III 4 channel, Seas reference front components in Audioscape pods, Seas 10" sub in one off Audioscape moulded box. No need for rears, you don't listen to a concert with your back to the musicians....

The sound is phenomenal.....stick a David Gray CD in and with a bit of time alignment, he's on the bonnet singing to me.

The Corrado doors are huge, take advantage of that and fit some 6.5" components and get a nice deep bass response.