Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

G60/1.8T/TDI Pikey mod!

Don't know if anyone's heard of this mod before, but a lot of the Skoda RS boys (1.8T & PD130) have done this with a lot of success.

I would think something similar could be done for the G60 too 8)

http://www.18turbo.com/ttvent.html

Some people have done it with a vent from B & Q, which is even cheaper :wink:

Yeah, some peeps over in Germany have done something similar, or even simpler, they've just cut holes in their existing wheel liner. The latter must cause all sorts of road dirt to be slung through those holes onto the intercooler backside, however, whereas the solution with that grille inserted seems a bit better. Just not sure about the rivets, as they'll immediately rust, being in the water path from the tyres.

Otherwise yes, good idea.

Tempest

Yeh, defo wouldn't want plain holes in the liner!

Maybe you could paint the rivets with Hammerite or something?

It hasn't been proven to give extra power but ALL of the Audi turbo cars have them so it definately cant be bad. All it does is allow more airflow to get to the intercooler.

I can see the logic, colder intercooler, denser air, more power. I doubt it'll do 'much' but it cant do any harm.

Just not sure about the rivets, as they'll immediately rust, being in the water path from the tyres.

rivets are normally alluminum so they should be ok

Yeah I did that to the old G60 Jet, cant remember what I used as the vent now, but if you look at a lot of new cars they have vents in these areas as standard.

Yeah I did that to the old G60 Jet, cant remember what I used as the vent now, but if you look at a lot of new cars they have vents in these areas as standard.

So did you see any benefits ? or did you just like B&Q a the time ;)

It was made out of metal mate and riveted inplace

It must do something. Why else would Audi and other manufacturers fit them as standard? Be interested to see a before and after temp comparison.

Jim and Steve, might be worth a shot on your TDI's. Lots of Fabia vRS owners have done this with their PD130's.

Think I'm gonna give it a go on the RS when I get time.