Sign in to follow this  
.Rich.

Bleeding vr6 brake

I changed my rear axle bushes this weekend and decided to flush the brake fluid whilst i was at it, but im having problems bleeding the brakes now.

I have bled them twice in the correct order and have even done the two nipples on the pump in the engine bay.

I get a pretty good pedal, but as soon as i start the engine the pedal goes totally soft and i have to push it almost to the floor before anything bites.

Im bleeding the system with the ignition on using a pipe and jar, its a vr6 so i do have ABS.

Any suggestions?

sorry this is no help but ive just drained all my brake fluid out too,and i will most likely be in the exact same posistion

Make sure you don’t go pushing the peddle with no fluid in as you can damage the seals as far as I know. As for the bad feel, my corrado is like that to, but not so bad. does your car have a rear compensator? If so you are meant to have the spring unloaded (removed) to do the backs correctly if my memory serves.

Hi, a lot of people seem to have this problem. 2 bleeds is not that many if the system has been drained, try a couple more. Have you done the master cylinder as well as the ABS pump? I ended up doing two full flushes and a couple of bleeds as well before my pedal was back to normal. As stated, make sure the fluid level doesn't drop too low when you are bleeding as you will introuce more air and possibly damage seals.

Chris

Hi, a lot of people seem to have this problem. 2 bleeds is not that many if the system has been drained, try a couple more. Have you done the master cylinder as well as the ABS pump? I ended up doing two full flushes and a couple of standard bleeds as well before my pedal was back to normal. As stated, make sure the fluid level doesn't drop too low when you are bleeding as you will introuce more air and possibly damage seals. I think it is just a case of keeping bleeding until you get the air out.

Chris

Where is the bleed nipple for the master cylinder? I tried to bleed something i assumed was the master cylinder, it was below and to the right of the brake top-up bottle, but nothing would come out?

I will keep trying, but i wasn't sure if i was making a glaring mistake somewhere because nothing changed after two attempted bleeds.

It is a smaller screw (8mm?) than the rest tucked away below the reservoir. Only a tiny dribble comes out but it makes a difference. Worth doing the clutch slave cylinder as well.

Bleed the master and the ABS pump.

It will take a few goes. I suggest buying plenty of brake fluid.

Its a nightmare. I have heard comments about pressure bleeding helps alot.

T.