Sign in to follow this  
Nick

My Corrado G60

I spent saturday cleaning the car, and managed to get out to take a few pics, so thought id post them up. Apologies in advance if the pictures do something bizarre, as i seem to have been having some trouble recently.

Ass.jpg

Mud.jpg

Lowlines.jpg

Desktop.jpg

SideVIEW.jpg

Spec:

G60 with drilled airbox and k&n panel, FK Highsports (lowered about 80mm), FK de-badged grill, de-side-stripped (?), all red rear lights, Aero Wipers, German plates, Powerflow exhaust, JVC touchscreen cd/mp3 player complimented with infinity 6x9's.

New engine... :cry: audi door handles, alarm, and bit of smoothing. Then Ill be saving for some new wheels, and seats!

best colour too!

Wouldn't go that far!! :-P

But it does look smart mate!

How come you getting another engine???

How come you getting another engine???

Because mine is broken :( Ive got the dreaded G60 oil light flashing at me once its warmed, and after a garage inspection i have been told its on its last legs with next to no compression. :mad:

On the cards is a TSR 2.0 G60 engine, or just a new G60 engine.

best colour too!

Agreed, until i get a black one. :lol:

On the cards is a TSR 2.0 G60 engine, or just a new G60 engine.

I wouldn't go for a TSR one, if i were you, I've heard 2ltr don't rev as well as 1.9s.

I've been thinking about rebuilds recently and I was told that if I gave them my engine to rebuild, Big Boys Toys would rebuild mine for only around £800!

A friend of mine had an 8v GTI engine rebuilt by them and he recons the engine was spot on!

Ive a mate whos currrently got his MK2 Golf GTI at TSR, for alot of engine work - one of their packs with rebored block and new pistons etc. Was supposed to be waiting a week, currrently been 4, and wont get it till this w/end. Apparently the pistons werent ordered from Germany until theyd had the car for a couple days.

Where abouts are Big Boys Toys? Got a website?

Well you could look here, but they advertise in the golf+ and PVW all the time.

They told me that they didn't have any G60 lumps in stock so they would rebuild mine, but i went out and bought a big valve head instead! 8)

Edit: They have workshops all over the country. Think the closest engine place to us is in Gloucester.

[align=center]Update - 1/09/2006[/align]

I thought i would enlighten the rest of the group as to what ive been up to recently, as without the help of this forum, i would be in trouble!

So first of all....thank-you. From the bottom of my heart. :notworthy:

May was not a good month. I had to replace my clutch at a cost of over £300, but had a VR6 one instead of a G60. I had to pay my car insurance, and then 2 weeks exactly after the clutch was replaced, the engine blew up, but in a rather subdued manor. I managed to coherse it into my garage, and that was that.

After much umming and ahhing, i decided to tackle the task of replacing the engine by myself...despite absolutely, and catastrophically no experience what-so-ever. I have never even drained oil from a car. :shock: :lol:

I did this for 2 reasons.

1) I wanted to learn, and this seemed like a good enough oppotunity to me!

2) I was broke! :cry:

So, i bought an engine from AndyCowUK, but literally the bare block, with inlet manifold. I had to strip down the car, get the old engine out, and transfer all the ancillaries from old to new. fun...

DSC01461.jpg

Engine1.jpg

Until finally i was left with this. (after a clean)

Baythismorning.jpg

Both engines...

Engines.jpg

The swapping of parts progressed...

DSC01518.jpg

...Until i was left with this.

DSC01614.jpg

So saturday 26th August i had a what you see above, and an empty bay.

By monday 28th, it looked like this:

Asis2.jpg

And i have continued working hard, and this last pic was taken this morning.

NOW.jpg

Im having a few issues with the finer details atm, as you my have guessed or seen, from my thread in 'engine bay', but as it stands, this is what i have left to do.

Finish wiring - over half is done, theres just a few random ones.

Sort bonnet opening, as its stuck atm!

Charger, and water belt (i think)

Collect little oil screw from vw.

Work out how to do this bloody driveshaft.

And then fire her up (in theory) to tweak the problems i will have caused, by putting things in the wrong place (god i hope theres not many!)

Thank you for reading. As i said, i wouldnt have even contemplated starting this, if it wasnt for this forum.

Not only have you all helped me fix my car, but also improved my self-confidence, and taught me new skills.

For that, i am grateful.

Nick

Bloody well done mate. I'm similar to you - have never dared do this sort of thing, but in the event of something catastophic happening to the engine, its the only way forward as I could never afford a garage bill to do the same work.

It is absolutely the best way to learn (get your hands dirty!) and i'm sure your understanding of how the car works has gone up a few thousand times whilst you've been getting stuck in.

Well done!

Fair play to you mate.... At least you had a very good go at it and didn't just give up and sell it and!!!!!

I've done things on my "C" that I never thought I'd be able to do but we seem to just do it.... :)

My only wish is, I had a garage!!! I'd probably attempt much more but unfortunatley I've only got my slanted drive :roll:

Keep up with the good work matey....

Well done Nick!

It's amazing how much you can learn by just getting in there and having a go at it!

Good luck with it and give me a shout if you get any problems, I only live down the road(ish)! :D

Only just seen these 'fresh' posts.

I have done it all myself, bar a couple of hours work.

The most interesting thing was dropping the engine back in the bay by myself...My mate who had agreed to help went on the p1ss the night before and wasnt moving anywhere, so i had to get it in by myself.

Got the bonnet up now, so i can progress a bit more...lol.

hey dude im well impressed ive just taken loads of bits of my engine! i wanted to take the bits of my car myself! well happy for doing it you must be well chuffed! how lond did it take to get the engine out and back in as when i get mine painted i will be doing this! good stuff chap keep it up!

Cheers Andy

How longs a piece of string...?

I have to admit to having no will-power, and being quite lazy. Or else it would probably be done by now.

Personally it took me a few weeks to take everything off, i didnt know what i was doing, and labelled most things, aswell as having an organised shelf with lots of pots labelled "alternator", "driveshaft" etc.

The rebuild out of the engine, again took a few weeks, but i was transferring all the ancillaries from one to the other, and trying to clean them up in the process.

Once the engine was sat back in place, i was surprised as to how quickly it went back together - of course whether this is right, im yet to find out!!

Its now down to the finer details, and this is taking some time, like finding where all the plugs go etc...and also, not being able to open my bonnet didnt help...

Good preparation, like anything in life!, helps in the long run.

And not having any bolts round off, or x-thread themselves helps too.