Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

turbo boost gauge

hello all my mates got his turbo boost gauge out of his punto ready to sell his car and said i could have it for a £10 would the gauge work fine for telling me my supercharger boost levels or does it only read boost from turbo's? thanks andy

You can fit one to your G60, just T off of one of the vaccum pipes, i used the one on the end of the inlet manifold.

You can fit one to your G60, just T off of one of the vaccum pipes, i used the one on the end of the inlet manifold.

Wouldn't it be easier to T off the one going to the clocks ?

Suppose so, i just thought it might screw up the MFA.

I know you should never T off of the pipe going from the inlet to the ECU, that HAS to stay 100cm otherwise it messes up the fueling!

T'ing off the FPR line on my charged VR hasn't caused any problems..... what's different about the G60?

Think that's the one I used too.

cheers lads i was more wondering if they the boost gauge will be fine for the charger boost will it be accurate as it was on a turbo boost before! i thought would be ok as the obviously both run p.s.i/bar so just wanted to check with you guys? thanks andy

a turbo and a supercharger is pretty much the same on the inlet air side (conceptually anyways), so there wouldn't be any difference there. It's not a turbo gauge, it's a boost gauge. And both superchargers and turbos supply extra boost. Therefore, wouldn't mean a thing.

essentially that gauge is suitable as the unit of measurement it takes for either charger or turbo can be the same - just as youve said :). Youre fine to fit.

Suppose so, i just thought it might screw up the MFA.

I know you should never T off of the pipe going from the inlet to the ECU, that HAS to stay 100cm otherwise it messes up the fueling!

intresting post. I am aware that you are never to 'T' off the ecu line. My Saab was also the same it messed up the fueling n stuff. The pipe on the Saab was only a few inch's long. A question for the guru's.

my car has a boost gauge not fitted by me. It 'T' from the ecu line!!! So that needs soughting out. Question my line is split with a couple of 'T' pieces. If you 'T' from the gauge cluster line ar'nt you in theory still making the ecu line longer??? ie you 'T' off it and that means there is a break in the 1m line with another pipe to the gauge. In theory making the whole line longer.

Maybe my lines are a little messy. Take alook. Answers please.

So looking at the image is the ECU line to be 1m long from ecu to the 1st 'T' or is all the line to be 1m long??? Including the T's and red silicone I have fitted as a stop gap due to poor rubber state?

pipe-3.jpg

I think (correct me if i'm wrong) that there should be two pipes coming off the back of the throttle body, one should be uninturrupted, 1m all the way to the ECU (controls the fueling).

If I were you, I'd try and disconnect all the t pieces from your ECU line, and put them off of the feed off of the left hand side of the inlet manifold at the front (just out of your pic).

That's just my idea though, hope it helps. :)

I wouldn't tap into the ECU line. VW state the length of the pipe on ETKA for a reason. Adding Ts and pipework will be adding volume to the ECU line and may/probably does affect fuelling.

I have driven a G60 Syncro Golf that had an ECU pipe that was 85cm long and it ran like a dog. My own G60 Golf had one that was 95 cm when I bought it. It didn't run any different that I could detect, after I replaced the pipe.

Again though, VW didn't state use a metre for no good reason.

As for tapping into the FPR feed, your choice, I wouldn't be happy introducing another connection in there that may leak, on any forced induction vehicle that could lead to a weak mixture and engine damage.

Gavin

As for tapping into the FPR feed, your choice, I wouldn't be happy introducing another connection in there that may leak, on any forced induction vehicle that could lead to a weak mixture and engine damage.

Gavin

Good point, the only reason I take mine from there is because I was told that was one of the better places from a VW specilist. Had the boost gauge running from there for about a year now and never had any problems.

I think (correct me if i'm wrong) that there should be two pipes coming off the back of the throttle body, one should be uninturrupted, 1m all the way to the ECU (controls the fueling).

If I were you, I'd try and disconnect all the t pieces from your ECU line, and put them off of the feed off of the left hand side of the inlet manifold at the front (just out of your pic).

That's just my idea though, hope it helps. :)

Cheers as I said not fitted by me. I was aware that the 1m line should not be tapped. Same on the Saabs I used to drive. The pipe length and bore is very important to the MFA. It is programmed to read volume at revs ect. Its base code will ref the 1m line by say 3mm bore caries x pres n air!!! Dong brain flat line!!

So my plenum should have two points 1 for the ECU left alone and another for what the gauge cluster??

Anybody fancy taking a shot of their setup? Or a tech diagram?

Ok been busy..Update.

I cut the boost gauge into the FPR line. That removes 1 'T' plus some excess line. i took another shot of how it is now. Is this where the ECU line should 'T' into? this is what is left after the altering I have done...? Remember this is how I found the connections. Any help appreciated.

pipe-4.jpg

Ok thats a good start..

So As.

g60dave said

On my g60 I am unable to find where the pipe from the ECU connects at present it is coming off a pipe that comes from the brake servo unit?? Is that correct? So where does the line to the cluster connect?

Sorry to be a pain I just want to put the car on the rd in good order. It has been very short of TLC from its previous owner.

AS AN EDIT.....

Using the search i found this post. LINK

Dubcharged talks about the ECU line on the wrong or right side of the butterfly valve??? My hose is connected to AS I SAID...The brake servo pipe.... :roll: