Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Best rear tower brace?

So I've seen the Dubweiser (I think) one on eBay, and apparently it goes for 60ish quid on their site. Is there any difference between this one and any others on the market? If so, why?

How much impact does it have on the cars handling? Will it make the back step out more often, or does it stick ot the road more?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Ahhhhh yes I remember that thread, thanks. So basically I do need one, and it doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly lose traction on the back then!

Will look into getting one from Trimsport, cheers

If the bar does not have three points of contact then its not the best for performance. If you want a compromise so the storage area is still useable then a 2 point bar is ok but almost a waste.

I have a neuspeed bar like this that I have yet to install because I haven't had time but it is the best for track results:

80.10.50.jpg

Sorry, I'm not following this :-

'a 2 point bar is ok but almost a waste'.

I understood that the purpose of the bar was to hold the suspension turrets upright, I don't see how they would have any fore/aft movement.

You have to think about is as an engineer would. take a cardboard box and play with it. cut the ends off and then you have something that is not very strong but can simulate a car's cabin. add a piece of card board in the same manner as a 2 pt bar. Then add a 3rd leg. now you will see why the 4 leg bar is so much better. the only thing that a 2 pt bar does is garentee that the rear shocks will be the same distance apart. It does nothing to make certain that they are at the correct angle.

I completely disagree that a 2 point one is a waste. It obviously won't be as effective as a 3 or 4 point one, but 2 point ones do make a difference, a big difference. Unlike a saloon car, there is nothing at all bracing the turrets together in a hatchback, so even a 2 point one makes a difference as you form a 'square' using the brace and the floor and that DOES restore shell rigidity, which manifests itself as reduce rear wheel dragging and less front wheel pitching.

I also looked at the Neuspeed one but it's not reversible in that you can't return turrets and panels back to stock if they have several holes drilled in them! At least the trimsport one can be simply unhooked and the car is back to how it was.

If reversal isn't an issue and you do lots' of track work, don't waste your money on the Neuspeed one (about £180 by the time it hits the UK), just weld in a 4 point one, all you need is a bit of steel bar and a couple of hours with a MIG. Grinding flat removed metal and repainting afterwards is easier and cheaper than plug welding holes.

My car is lowered and stiffened, rebushed front and rear and I still noticed an improvement with the trimsport brace.

But at the end of the day, no braces are as effective as a welded in cage any way, but these are road cars at the end of the day and need a certain amount of flex for ride comfort.

i boughr a wiechers one from dubmeister

£40 inclyding pacaking straight from germania.

seems strong although i havent had chance to test the car with it yet

carpets will need removing though to fit it - very tight fit